Atis XS ≠ Atis2 FS / Atis2 S ≠ Gangster XS

Hi Guys,

After getting some ideas (many thanks!) from my previous post "Best Wings to Start Learning Acro" (http://www.justacro.com/forum/14/1270/best-wings-start-learning-acro), and also from other people who does acro, I was advised to get the Atis1 instead of the Atis2 as it wasn't that good in comparison with first version.

Does anyone who has tried them both could lay down the basics differences between them?

Another additional question. I heard the Gangster has a very strong pitch movement so the Atis would be a better option for a beginner, and that would be particular bad in case of negative spins. Anyone has some experience flying them and could give an insight comparing to both Atis?

Thanks and regards,

Dymitr

PS: About myself :
68kg. Flying for 2 1/2 years, between 50-100hours, in varied conditions.
Current wing, Sol Ellus2. Done last year SIV and Advanced SIV.

Latest Comments

gorayski's picture

Thanks,

simon2's picture

yes atis1 is great (still flying one..) look: http://www.vimeo.com/2153304
I flew it in the upper wingload section but not over the "legal" limit. The dynamic was enough.

i also flew the atis2freestlye. great dynamic and very easy to sat. was much more dynamic than my atis (ok there was more wingload ;)) but with great safety. Its also very easy to thermal both gliders :) but i think the atis2fs is made out of lightwight materials.. maybe the durability is not so long..

all in all great gliders. try them :)
..and the gangster and the icaro instinct xs ;)

Greets Simon

arjan's picture

I can't really comment on the wings you described. But although the Gangster was and assumably still is a nice wing for acro, it is also a really old design (2003). I can imagine there should be better choices (different brands and types) on the market by now in dynamics, passive safety and overall performance ?

One life... live it

ZMercan's picture

Atis 1 is a better toy than 2 because it has more energy and dive,more willing to SAT. Compare to Gangster though safety is definetly much higher!

FlyinDread's picture

I've flown the Gangster S for over one year. I never had bad experiences flying with it, and learning tricks is easy and stress-free. In my opinion spin tricks a very easy with the glider, it's perfect for lerning helico and the glider is dynamic enough for doing loops and asy-sats (never tried to tumble with it).
A friend of mine, who is quite a bit heavier than i am, has flown it several times. He did spin and dynamic tricks and said it was easy. The wing loading should be the same than me flying a xs Gangster (takeoff weight: 95).
So if you have the chance to get a cheap Gangster, I would defenitly go for it.

JaroXS's picture

i forgot know there is Atis 2 FS, and is really nice, my two friends have it, and i think it will be my second FS glider. Im not flying so much to go to some more hot stuff, maybe later. I just like my safety :-)

Jaro XS

JaroXS's picture

Hi Dymitr,

I was flying Atis 1 and 2, besides iv still have Atis Acro but that one is much more different. Acro vesrion have different lines and wingtips.

The first Atis dives faster in the turns so its much more easier to achive the speed which is the most important for acro tricks. As i remember it has also shorter breaks comparing with the second version. It like to be overweight, then the canopy is stable and its fun and really safe. The second Atis it isint so dynamic like the first one, he dont dives so much, and in the wingovers its seems to have worse preasure in the canopy.

Every year we are making siv courses, and i was able to see those two gliders in different tricks, every time Atis 1 had more energy. Using Atis 1 XS or S you will be able to learn all the stuff including asymmetric sat. Its really fine. Last year i was trying to do tumbling on it, and i was ok, not so high but ok. Could have more energy but maybe iv did smth wrong. Mendo Veljanovski (really good acro pilot from Macedonia was flying also few years ago on Atis Acro).

On my atis acro iv messed only once really bad the looping, but i was tired of teaching whole day in the sun. I loose the energy at the highest point and when iv return under the glider i just simple pull up my hands and then i go to smth like tumbling :D, and iv caught a cravat, had 80m so i just throw my reserve. It seems i was to tired because i was doing looping many times from the wingovers...every time perfect.

Anyway iv still have a video, maybe i will put it here... :-) So iv you want to learn the basics Atis 1 XS for you will be perfect. Sorry i dont know the Gangster XS.

Jaro XS

i hope iv helped a little bit...