Equipment for starting acro

Hey, I have been Skydiving since 2002, flying paramotors since 2005, paragliding since 2007, and speedflying since 2008. My paragliding career has always been fun until recently, I find that I am now getting bored of flying both paramotors and paragliders. I am interested in starting acro and feel that I have a lot of experience with different types of canopies that would help me along the way.

I am curious if you guys recommend sticking with normal PG gear when starting acro or should I go out and buy acro specific gear. Currently I am flying a large Apco Vista with a Supair EvoXC harness, the reserve is an Apco mayday.

Realize that my all up weight is about 10 - 15 kilos over the max weight of the glider (I fly the same glider with a paramotor as well) but I have no problems with takeoffs, landing or thermaling. I have never attended a maneuvers clinic either since there aren't many schools near where I live, and the closest that offers maneuvers clinics is about 800km away.

Thanks

Latest Comments

crazycanuck's picture

Thanks, I am planning on attending an SIV course this upcoming July, will have to try it out then. Thanks.

cruelangeltesis's picture

I agree with shiva, start learning the basics with your serial glider then go and try a freestyle glider. Try the airwave burn, free force from u-turn., the icaro instinct is a good 1-2 glider for starting acro. If you feel confident and have a good training site, an acro wing should be the next step!

hope this helps!

Shiva's picture

i also had a vista once.... about 20kg over the top. Was quite nice for all the basic stuff like Heli, Fullstall, Sat, and so on. Give it a try ;)

cheers