Avasport Acro

Hi guys,

I have sold my (too large and to weightshift sensible) skyline vertigo. I tried briefly an avasport Acro last spring and found it very nice.

Looking at the second hand harnesses, I found several acro : Acro 2009, acro F1, acro t pro, etc ... Could somebody explain me the differences ? What is the actual acro harness from avasport ?
And regarding the size, I think I flew a S but I am not so sure. And it is difficult to find one to try. Which size would you recommend for me (1.73m , 68 kg).

Also if someone if willing to let me try his avasport acro when I come to the french Alps to fly, it would be really nice :D

Happy tumbles,

Akira (no tumbles yet)

Latest Comments

Phobos's picture

When will they release the new version of the SupAir acro harness?

mikesm08's picture

@ Akira,
no, the diagonal you are talking about does not take up any slack and does not provide any more stability. The Chest strap on the Vertigo, much like the supair acro3 goes under the seat board but can be pulled tight with the click bead which therefore provides stability. The hangpoints on the old harness are still very old school and low.
Look at the modifications acro-zone have done to the ava harness, you will notice that the diagonals are adjustable to provide stability and that the shoulder straps do exactly what your vertigo does.
The other thing to look at on this superb harness is the reserves no longer interfere with the lower back area incase of an accident, the new ava boasts a huge rogallo area but the second rescue placement is still sitting on the pilots lower lumbar of the back. Another very important thing, acro-zone have produced new back protection-a different method of some kind that is like double the safety of normal protection, and that is very cool, the only problem is that this harness is expensive, but between this harness and a new supair I was mentioning, it may well worth be waiting to see what newer harnesses are like...
http://www.acro-zone.com/de/component/content/article/40-hardware-fuer-a...

pogozoli's picture

Both the Ava Acro F1 and Acro Pro are very good harnesses, at a better price than other models . I've tried both of them. The Acro Pro has a better comfort for your back, and as Jarek said, the reserves are one after the other.
The Acro Pro also has a kind of a belly protection on the chest strap.
I suggest to buy the M size. I have 174 cm and 60 kg and the L was too big for me (both of them were L).
By the way, I don't think that it is too unstable. I have flown the Independence Acro harness and it was more unstable than the Ava.
Zoli

akira's picture

Hi Mike,
Well, there was a very significant construction difference between my Vertigo and the Ava I tried.
When you look at the picture :
http://picasaweb.google.com/bushchakruslan/AVAAcroPro#5436528879488605650
there is a roll stabilisation system (called ABS in France) which is a strap going from the seat plate to somewhere between the hang point and the center of the chest strap (don't know how to explain any better). This stabilisation system is present on the Ava and not on the vertigo ... I had the impression that it changed a lot.
In other words, the shoulder strap of the vertigo goes directly to the seat plate whereas the strap of the ava goes to a point between the hang point and the middle of the chest strap.

Maybe the sensation of a more sensible harness (less easy to train helis) was also coming from the fact that my vertigo was too large for me (whereas the ava was very tight).

I do not pretend to be anything close to a good acro pilot ... just having fun :)

BTW, thanks for the link with the nice pictures of the harness ... looks really great.

mikesm08's picture

hehe, actually I had the original Vertigo too and Skyline manufactures in the ava factory, I then had the newer model ava that Jarek is saying(the one with the rogallo container-one behind another)and they are both weight sensitive harnesses, hence I said you were not making sense-they are both so similar to fly! It's hard to believe you find the ava better than your original vertigo but I guess branding can play the monopoly in thought process. I mentioned the new 2R becasue it's very rare to own the original vertigo now days.
The newest ava is slightly different with a stronger back support but Im sure the hang points and structure are exactly the same as the original f1. The ava is a beautifully made harness : http://picasaweb.google.com/bushchakruslan/AVAAcroPro#
Maybe for 2010/2011 they have made it more stable but lots of pilots like it the way it is.

You can ask Bernd more and order through him at bernd@againstthegrain.at
He has a cool PDF of everything including custom colours etc.

The fact is that if you fly a serial wing or a freestyle wing then a sensitive harness will help with learning all the dynamic maneuvers but if flying a wing on a high wing loading like an acro wing, then the more stable the harness, the easier the wing is to fly and progress with, especially with helico etc.

anyway, what ever you like is what you like, as long as you can fly well with it ;) goodluck!

akira's picture

Mike :
This makes perfect sense. :) We are not talking about the same version of the vertigo.
The vertigo I was flying had no ABS (version from 1994) and no ajustement of the height of the hang points. And it was more weightshifty than the Ava I tried. Maybe the vertigo2 has an ABS, I do not know ...
Jaro :
Thanks for the informations. I like sensible harness. But when I tried deep stall for helis, I had much better sensations with the Ava from a friend ... that's why I am investigating in this direction.

JaroXS's picture

Hi, i have Ava Acro F1 2008 and the main difference between the current Ava Acro is the reserve placement. In the 2008 model the reserves were side by side, but in the current model (i think 2009, 2010) they are one after another. In older models there was a problem to put two big reserves under the seat board, thats why i think they changed the placement.

Im flying 2008 model F1, size L - 176cm, 80kg. You have probably smaller ass, so i would go for the size M.

Ava Acro current model is really good harness, but you need to try it by yourself. Not so stable under my small Nikita, but i like that :-).

Jarek
www.flyordie.info

mikesm08's picture

That makes no sense, the Vertigo 2R has a stabilizing system->i think called the ABS, whereby you can higher the hang points and tighten the diagonals to your preference.
The ava is unstable, some pilots like this but most dont like it...
Anyway, from what I heard, the new Supair acro4 will come next year
and this harness will have a list of improvements from the acro3 that the team pilots have resolved, it should be very good! ;)