Sup'Air Acro 3 seatboard length

Hi guys,

As so many people asking questions on this forum I want to buy a new harness with 2 reserves. I tried the Independence acro harness recently just because I had the chance. I think it's pretty much the same as the Avasport Acro? I'm 1m95 so I have pretty long legs. With the independence one (size XL of course) back length was OK but the seatboard only supported my legs halfway. I couldn't comfortably sit in it for more than a few minutes. I understand that an Acro harness is for sitting straight up and the seatboard can be a little shorter but this felt really extremely short. I want the Acro 3 because it seems to be the most comfortable acro harness out there and also suitable for some XC flying. I'm very worried though that the seatboard will also be slightly too short. With my current harness, an old Sup'Air Profeel size L, I have no problems with seatboard length (it's still slightly too small though) and have never had with any other harness of L or XL size I've used.

I have seen discussions about the Acro 3 on every aspect but not really on seatboard length. So does anyone know what the seatboard length is or does someone tall have first-hand experience with it?

Latest Comments

murdock's picture

I finally got to test the Acro 3 this weekend. Unfortunately SupAir sent a M instead of a L. But I tested the M and it was only very slightly too small, so the L should fit perfectly.

The seatboard was indeed quite short, but behind the seatboard there's pretty much room left which makes the effective seatboard length way longer. Furthermore the Acro 3 is really comfy. I especially like the side skirts and the extra back rigidity the integrated plastic back plate gives. And the lower pocket seems like it has a lot of space for a Rogallo.

So I ordered the Acro 3 L. I could wait for the Acro 4 maybe, but the harness itself doesn't seem to change that much, only the design.

Thanks for all your info.

Marvin Ogger's picture

Yes the Acro 3 in L is updated since the last summer. Longer back and seat board, it still has the classic Acro 3 colours.

murdock's picture

Thanks for the feedback!

@Chris: What do you mean by composed? Is more rigid and stiff? I'm pretty thin too but the length is the big factor :-)

@Marvin: That's pretty cool, what do you mean by specially designed? You mean the 2010 version (with the fancy colored side panels like in your pic) size L has a longer seatboard and is adjusted for tall people?

Marvin Ogger's picture

So lets come to an end.. :)

I am 1.97 m tall and I am flying the new (updated) Acro 3 in Large which is designed especially for me and all the other tall guys! It fits perfectly.

Best regards

Chris_'s picture

I'm 1.95 as well. Acro 3, size M fits perfectly, but maybe cause I'm thin. It's very comfortable, but not as composed as Avasport's one. I'm getting an Avasport Acro to see if it's any better.

Maybe that helps :)

slyski's picture

@murdok

X-pression does have back adjustment.

murdock's picture

I just got a mail from Sup'Air with the seatboard size of the Acro 3. I quote: "Accro3 L seat board is 3 7 cm large and 36 cm deep.". So it's 37cm wide and 36cm long. The Woody Valley X-Pression XL, according to their website, has a seatboard length of 43cm and a width of 35.5cm. So it's a staggering 6 cm longer! That's quite a difference.

I looked up the Sol Wasabi which also seems like a nice harness, and in the manual it says that the seat plate of the XL is: 37x44. Even longer than the X-Pression. But that one cm difference can easily be a difference in measuring though. The seatboard is notably wider which I don't like. But it does seem to be more reclined. I also like the side skirts a lot. And it's a pretty new design because it only got released towards the end of last year if I'm correct. Both harnesses have 14cm foam protection.

@slyski: the X-Pression seems to have no adjustment for the back, it seems to be fixed in one position, can you confirm that?

So for me it's pretty much between the WV X-Pression and Sol Wasabi, as there are no other acro harnesses with long seatboards that I know of (I don't like the Airwave Acro and the Vertigo 2R seems to have a short seatboard too, and is pretty expensive). I'm more biased towards the Wasabi as the X-Pression seems to be a more naked acro harness and the Wasabi more suitable for long XC flights. Does anyone have experience with the Wasabi?

slyski's picture

As I remember, Acro 3 and Avasport seatbord lenght were similar, if not the same ( it's hard to tell when there is couple cm of difference).

I really liked the Acro 3, but the seatbord is just a liitle to short other wise very nice harness.
Avasport, seatbord just a liitle to short and very small amout of storage space.
X-Pression for my body type feels just right, especially the seatbord, no side pockets but very nice back pocket with room to fit your stuff.

For longer flights I like my X-Pression, not a XC harness but if you want it you can make it work.
I fly my F-Gravity and Boomerang GTO( chest strap all the way in) using my X-Pression.

murdock's picture

Thanks for your comments!

@dany: That's interesting. Only it'll get pretty expensive with that extra 100 € :(

@slyski: How did the seat boards of the Acro 3 and the Avasport compare? Were they the same length? The Woody Valley X-Pression indeed looks like it has a pretty long seatboard in comparison. I emailed Sup'Air and Avasport to ask the sizes of their seatboards so I have some numbers to compare.
How do you like the X-Pression, is it comfortable for long flights?

Phobos's picture

I know that strap, and i think you can make it easily by your own for any other harness.

slyski's picture

I also had the same problem when buying a acro harness. But I was lucky enough to test
Acro 3 and Avasport, seatbord on both harnesses were little to short for my legs.

So I bought Woody Vally X-Pression, very good fit for my legs, seatbord is just the right lenght.
X-pression has a strap that holds the pilot tightly to the harness, it's like a seatbelt that goes around your waist, very nice for helico.
The only thing that harness is missing is side pockets.

I have size Large and I am 180cm.

dany_studer's picture

Hy murdock
Avasport offers their acro harness customized for your body. The upcharge is
about 100 Euros. Friend of me bought one with a bigger seatboard. Further
you can choose the collors.

hope it helps