Twister MKII vs. Freestyle 2

Hi,

I want to start to get into acro flying, XC is getting too boring, ive been looking at some wings that i could get and the choices i have are the Twister MKII or the Freestyle 2, both of them seem to be good wings, ive contacted Apco about the twister and they say it performs quite well, the Freestyle 2 is a newer wing with about the same performance, but my question being, i want to get a good performing acro glider that i can thermal up in, but i also want something i wont grow out of too quickly, has anyone tried both of these wings, any advice about either would be very helpful.

Allen

Latest Comments

parapilot1453's picture

@Hollywood
ive been flying for 5 years, my glider control is quite good as well, ive been working on some basic manuovers for a while now, from what everyone is saying on here im looking at the freestlye 2 more and more, my all up weight is 80-85kg, still looking around though, i want to make sure that i choose the right wing.

@janek
ive looked at u-turn as well, but theres no dealers here in korea, and i cant ask my dad to be a dealer for a company if hes only gonna sell one wing of, since korean pilots go for mostly XC wings, hence the reason for only selling a few Apco wings :(

still havent made up my mind, definetly leaning towards the freestlye 2 more though.
Thanks for all your advice and keep it coming
Allen

adler's picture

@ lexou777
thanks! i am 105kg take off weight and i think the 22 would be perfect for me.

i did just one short flight with it in low altitude, but i felt the brakes are VERY soft

lexou777's picture

ALDER
how are the maneuvers with this wing? ==> very very easy to do all maneuvrers
wich maneuvers did you try? sat / mac twist / loop / tumble / dyn full stall and heli

what do you think about the brake pressure? perfect balance and great in stalls abd helicos

I wanted to take the 22 but when I tried the 20, it was absolutly easier and better :-)

janek's picture

Hi Allen
There is Free Force 3 available to order in 3 colors (1 new called limegreen)
Waiting time is 6-8 weeks
Cheers
Janek

Hollywood's picture

Hey Allan,
You need to ask yourself a question: How long have I been flying for and how good is my glider control? If you have never done any acro before I would suggest getting a bigger glider that not only will help you thermal a little better but it will be much slower and easier to handle, especially if you haven’t done any manoeuvres yet. Getting on a smaller and very dynamic wing gives you more stability as to wing loading but everything happens allot faster and harder to recover from some emergency situations. Depending where you live and how high are the mountains around that you might just go on a glide over the water and start doing some acro.
I personally have few acro wings anything from 14, 19 and 24m Thriller 2K11 and I really enjoy flying the 24 as out here in Australia we don’t have as much height as the lucky guys in Europe so it is also great for thermaling as much as dynamic manoeuvres. My all up weight is 100kg.
Hope you will find what you are looking for.
Hollywood

adler's picture

how are the maneuvers with this wing?

wich maneuvers did you try?

what do you think about the brake pressure?

lexou777's picture

allien

I was flying all day yesterday with the new freestyle and I can tell you that it's a wonderfull wing.
at the begining of the afternoon, the conditions were really small and I could stay in the air really easy even if I am 90 kilos total weight for the 19m²
if you take this wing, you'll never regret your choice !!
have fun guy

parapilot1453's picture

Thanks guys for such a fast reply,
Im in this situation right now because i have a low income and my dad is an Apco dealer and will give me a discount when i buy from him, and the gradient dealer in Korea charges at full retail plus shipping and tax. I really wish Apco would make a wing like the freestyle 2 for freestyle and beginner acro, my all up weight is around 80-85kg (depending on clothes) so if i were to get a freestyle 2 i think i would like the 19m, Any other wings that you guys would recommend?
P.S.I really like the rainbow colors on the freestyle though :)

Allen.

lexou777's picture

I ALien,

I had the freestyle 1 for 3 years and I'm testing the freestyle 2 19m² and 22m²
I'm 90 kilos total weight, and it is a really really good wing, you can do many acro figures
very easily and it glides very well. Even in very small conditions, you can fly veray easy !!
For a freestyle use, it is the best wing on the market.
The wing is well dynamic and the helicopters are more easier than the freestyle 1.
envoy

theo's picture

Hi Allen,
I have not tested these 2 glider but I can already tell you that if you want to start, to get thermals etc the freestyle 2 is better. Indeed, the twister MKII is a radical acro glider, so not so good to start, she is also smaller than the freestyle 2 (so easier to get thermals ;-)) wich is a wing freestyle and not radical acro.
This is what I know about these 2 wing, but I have not tried any of them ;-)
Théo