G-Force logging

logged gforce and height

Latest Comments

AndyNeubi's picture

hey,

feedback from the engineer's of the logger : "the tool measures the g-force on all 3 axes every 0,25sec. the value which is stored in the internal memory is the absolute value of the 3-dimensional vector of x+y+z axis and therefore the max. exposure to the pilot... "

@pál : i think the goal is to land on top of the raft not in the water ... :) - i am sure we'll find a waterproof bag ;)

andy

audacium's picture

Hi Chris,

I totally agree that g-force resistance is to a large part mental and just getting accustomed to it. However, there are definitively techniques (so I was told by fighter pilots) how to conquer the bad effects of g-force, mostly correct breathing and muscle tension in the right places. I do not think that the body somehow changes due to g-force, but your reaction to them adapts.

Cheers, Eduard.

cloudcatcher's picture

Hi everybody !!

A friend of me is using a tool called Memo, it's a prototype builted by a guy from south France. It records the G-force during a flight, but on all axis, x y and z. Raul used it during an infinite, and I saw the graph. Seems that the maximum is arround 5 or 6G, and the minimum sometimes even less than 1G (that's why the lines doesn't look allways very tight...).

Concerning the resistance to the G-force, I don't really believe in it. I think the military pilots and the people going in the space are just 150% more resistant than a normal guy, even if they train 10 years ! That why the military pilots use anti gravity clothes... I think most of the resistance comes from your mental. I noticed it by doing pedagogic tandem flights with low experienced pilots. When they do spiral themself with solo gliders, they fell very bad, nearly going seek, and they say the G-force are very strong. And when they fly with me in tandem, I can do the most radical manoeuvres, and they feel very good. Must be because when they don't need to pilot and when they trust in the pilot, they don't have stress, and seems that stress is an important part of the resistance. Well, that's my opinion...

audacium's picture

When you do a quick calculation for the centripetal force you will arrive at something like 3 or 4 g ( assuming line length of 7 m, radius for the turn of around 4 m, time for one revolution around 2.25 sec, taken from videos of Pal and Raul).

But this is obviously an average as it assumes a constant turn speed. In reality speed is greatest when the pilot is at lowest point and lowest when wing is below pilot.

So a very rough guess could be that centripetal force is somewhere around 1 or 2 g when pilot goes above wing (I guess it will not be much above 1 g as the lines usually do not really look tight when pilot is aove wing), and somewhere around 6 g (as measured by Andy) when pilot swings through.

And yes, resistance to ge can be trained. I know it explicitly from fighter pilots, and on a somewhat lower level you will experience yourself when you do for example a lot of spirals.

Eduard.

mikesm08's picture

and how does the body cope with that,,like in rauls on board cam on youtube??
day by day,,does your body build up more and more resistance to the Gs?

mikesm08's picture

wow 6.29!
does that mean that these top guys doing infinite
are loading 6.3 or so Gs every revolution??

michael

PalTakats's picture

Great!
I would love to try it!
There is only one question, is it waterproof? :-)

AndyNeubi's picture

hey,

size of my morpheus is 16sqm. i saw that you'll compete at Acrobatixx in Zell am See. if you are interested to log a flight i'll visit the competition on weekend (for me only 2h by car)

andy

PalTakats's picture

Hi Andy!

The diagram is really great! 6,29 G sounds a pretty good load :-)
I wish I could fly with this tool to check some stuff.
What is the size of the glider you are flying?
Pal

AndyNeubi's picture

hey,

today i measured the height and the g-force to the pilot during a short flight. the graph you'll find in the gallerie (G-Fore logging during acro)

the first maneuver was a medium high tumble with 2 revolutions. the 2nd peak shows the gforce during a asym-sat. glider : uturn morpheus

the maximum was at about 6.29g

i'm a little bit surprised that the peak is so high at a "normal" trick .... it's a pity that i'm not able to do the infinity :)

andy
PS: thanx to www.speedupscan.at for their equipment