Sophie High vs Freestyle 3 vs Redout vs F-gravity

Hi,
I'm looking to get into Acro but have several gliders in mind. I want a dynamic wing but one that "forgives" a bit when learning new maneuvers. Any opinions on these gliders (or other options)?
-Sophie High
-Freestyle 3
-Redout
-F-gravity

Latest Comments

Martini's picture

WAIT! Don´t change wing yet, you still have a lot to learn! You will feel safer and you will progress faster!
When you have mastered helicos, heli to heli, misty to heli, misty, looping, perfect backfly and really good wingovers THEN you should change!

I did the mistake of going straight to an emilie 22 nearly killing myself, now that I´ve gone back to an EN-A/B I evolved so much in one season! And had so much fun, I really enjoyed the safety the glider has given me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLkaSpgnLA&t=3s&ab_channel=MaxMartini

With the fundament in understanding, changing to an RedOut 19 felt great!

jmcolombo's picture

Hey David,

Martini definitely has a point there. I just sold a Sophie2 which is basically the Sophie High but made with heavier material (prior to the Sophie High). It's a very advanced wing, just 1/2 step before an acro wing. But it also depends how much you're going to fly it. I was flying my Sophie2 beautifully, but after a shit winter season here and almost 6 months of not flying it, I felt I was back to square 1, a very unsafe square 1... If you're going to fly it not so regularly, I would definitely go with a Freestyle 3 or Redout (I also heard the F-gravity is quite advanced). Otherwise also consider the Octane2 or the Icaro Aquila (I heard really good things about this last wing, and it might be my next one :-).

It all really depends on how much you're going to fly it, how regularly, and how fast you want to progress. Freestyle 3, Octane2 and Aquila seem to be nice step up wings without getting too aggressive and fast. Also try to look for a wing with a conservative aspect ratio, something maybe less than 5.4 or so.

Cheers! :-)

David Jaramillo's picture

I'm 80kg. And I've done quite some stalls, many sats, some spins and a few tries at helico in an EN-B. Do you recommend to wait and practice more in an EN-B before approaching one of these fast freestyles? Thanks!

Martini's picture

depending on your size I would go RedOut or Freestyle3... which are both excellent wings!
Consider your level of skill, if you have no experience in acro then I highly recommend you to fly with a beginner EN-A or EN-B wing first.

Fly Safe & Have Fun!