Sophie High or Emilie With 22

Hi everybody,

I'd like to have some advice: I want to change my glider for the next season. I currently use an Instinct 2 A, doing SAT,WO,full stall, negative and recently started to try helico. Next season I want to nail the dynamic stall...

Thing is, the Instinct is pretty slow so I'm losing height and often have to use the speedbar. Especially the low trim speed is a problem when flying on the coast (which is next to my home)...

So I'm pretty interested in either a Sophie (21 or 23) or an Emilie 22. I'm looking for something not too aggressive with the ability to thermal quite well (cause money's low and a second glider for that would be hard to afford).
But then I have the chance to get a almost new Emilie 22 for a good price...

Richard (Gallon) told me it's more the question of what I want to do in the future instead of which of the gliders to choose (but then he's a very good pilot).

So, what do you think? Is the emilie most likely too demanding for me? How about thermalling when using the biggest size? Or is it better to go for the Sophie? If so the 23 or the 21? The Instinct 2 is also 21 but from what I read here can't be compared to the Sophie...

My head's buzzing, do you have some input?
Regards
Gunnar

Latest Comments

acromarmot's picture

Hi Juan,

we'll, maybe "aggressive" is not the best expression... Anyway, I tested the Emilie and the Sophie and I felt more comfortable with Emilie...but then I have not so much experience, you should ask some other pilots, too. I just think if you flew a Sophie you will have no trouble with the Emilie. The size is important, I'm talking the big one here (22 sqm, my TOW is 90kg).
I never flew niviuks gliders so I cannot compare them, sorry.

Regards,
Gunnar

jmcolombo's picture

Hey mate! I fly a Sophie2 23 with TOW around 95kg. I was surprised when I read that you found the Sophie more aggressive??? I'm just asking because I will have to change mine soon enough. I've got used to a near- acro wing now so I'm not sure if I want to go for a freestyle wing, but at the same time I don't want a difficult acro wing like the n-gravity... Did you get a chance of flying the Sophie then?

Cheers.
Juan

acromarmot's picture

Hey Fredrick,

after a hard time thinking I just took the risk and bought the Emilie 22. In one phrase: I adore it since the first flight.
Glide: not so good (surprising, haha ;- ) )
Thermalling: quite good, only in weak conditions a bit tricky.
Speed: amazing (compared to my last glider), also for strong wind soaring.
Handling: I love it, not too difficult. Dynamic but yet predictable I'd say. There's not so much room for mistakes as with my last glider, surely. But as I fly the quite big size I have a bit more time between my mistake and the result. That's really good for me (as I'm on the beginner side).

With the bigger size the harness is a thing to consider. I started with SupAir Acro 3 but found it somewhat difficult to weight shift. I think it's more made for smaller/more dynamic gliders?! Anyway, I just changed for the AVAsport and now I think it's the perfect combination. All the flaws are now pretty much on my side :- )

I had the impression that the Sophie is a bit more aggressive while the glide is not so much better compared to my Emilie. I think the Emilie's got a more "balanced" handling. Maybe someone else can confirm that?!

Never had the chance to fly the Redout, sorry mate.

About material wear (as Martini mentioned it) I cannot really say something as I started with the first more dynamic manoeuvres just this season. Mine is still in very good conditions but then I don't fly that often and not in the high level area.

Good luck and always safe landings ;- )

Cheers,
acromarmot

Fredrick's picture

Hey Acromarmot.

Which wing did you go for? I've been recommended both the Redout and Sophie High. Did you get to try the Redout?

Cheers,
Fredrick

acromarmot's picture

Hi Martini,

thanks a lot for your input. I have a TOW of approx. 90, too. Didn't think of maybe there're flaws in the material...but it's worth thinking.

Can anyone else confirm that? Don't the AirGs last as long as differnt brands?

The reason why I came to the AirG was not the price, I had the chance to play around on the ground with an Emilie 22 in my last SIV. Just felt good and the girl flying it arrived on top of the lake with much more height than I. So I had a chat with her about how it flies.... The Thriller I didn't have it in mind as it's the wing of the real pro's on one hand and I saw and had the chance to play with some "normal wings" of U-Turn and I din't really like them (Emo and Blacklight). But I should consider the Redout (maybe the Thriller in a big size)...2015 is gonna be exciting ;- )

Have a good time off over Christmas and thanx again.

Martini's picture

Hey brother,
I have an emilie 22, takeoff weight ca.90kg, is a nice glider, good for thermaling and at high windspeeds at the beach too (even in weak condition still sustainable), but what i noticed is in WO it is scary!! (I know i´m not the best pilot) I always feel the tendency of collapsing.
An experienced pilot could confirm that too.
I recommend you to try different brands before buying too, I know Air g is a cheap option and it´s because the material isn´t that durable... after 1 maybe 2 years you will have to change.
You change depending on what you are focused on for the future, like if you would want to compete or just fly for fun or you would like to improve in certain area like dynamic maneuvers, stalled maneuvers or wagga or alltogether then I recommend a thriller, those ones are one of best ever made, specially the 2010... a nice freestyle wing I recommend is a Redout 19 (very dynamic, lot´s of glide! difficult helico but when you get it, you do it on any wing)... I don´t represent U-turn or anything, I´m just impressed by their products!

Congratulations for your evolution, keep flying safe, buddy.