Team5 Blue size recommandations

Hi everyone,

beeing mostly a hike&fly pilot, I have so far been abusing my lightweight glider (UP Makalu light 20) for wingovers, Sats etc.

Now I would like to "upgrade" to a wing thats a bit more dynamic & more resistant to the abuse of fun maneuvers. I can't afford to buy a new freestyle wing, so I'm looking at used equipment here. I have the opportunity to buy a used Team 5 Blue at a good price, which has been recommended as a good "beginner's acro wing" when slightly overloaded.

Can anyone comment on wing size for the Blue? My take-off weight would be about 87kg - I'm currentrly looking at a Size XS which is 20.3m2 proj. with an "official" weight range of 55-75kg.

Thanks for your help!
Steffen

Latest Comments

gforce's picture

Hello Stefan, Definitly the Blue from Team 5 is super wing to learn ACRO, few years a go I fly with S size and my weight was around 70kg, S size is betuin 70-95kg. Now I have 82 and all so I looking for M size.
In my o pinion I think , is a bit to small for you XS, beter look for S or M.
Here you can see few fly with Blue S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00oCpWq9tI
Best Regards,

fendrix's picture

Hi Steffen,
I sent you a PM, here on justacro.

steffen's picture

Frank,

thanks for the fast reply! I am aware of the trim problems - the wing I'm looking at has been checked 6 months ago, I am waiting for the protocol.
It would be great if you could send me some pics and the protocol - and what price you have in mind for your Blue.

Steffen

fendrix's picture

Hi Steffen,

I flew a Blue XS for around 2 years with a similar take-off weight than yours. Maneuvers I did, range from Wingovers, SATs to Helis and SAT to Heli. You can see here some video:
http://justacro.com/video/paragliding-acro/heli-time

Depending on your experience, I think it's a very forgiving wing, also when overloaded. Compared with the S size it's for sure more dynamic and builds up more energy. I personal didn't had bad situations, where I would say that it was the wing's fault. For example there is no big shooting on Fullstall release.

I think you heard already about the trimm problems of the wing. There was also a security message from German DHV. One should keep this in mind, but I didn't noticed any problems with that. But check the protocol before buying a used wing.

BTW: My Blue is for sale, so if you are interested I can send you some pictures and the check protocol.

Greetings
Frank