The Concept of overloading Acro/Freestyle Gliders

Hi,

I've been confused with the different sizes of Freestyle Gliders like the Octane 2 or Instinct Acro.
If i choose the size according to my TOW of 105 kg Ozone says I need the 25 sqm Version which
appears a little big. With Icaro I would be well in the weight range on a 21 sqm.
Can you help me choose a glider to make a smooth transition from the 28sqm glider I am
flying at the moment? Doing Sats, Stalls, Wingovers, beginning Heli now.

Thanks

Roman

Latest Comments

jmcolombo's picture

My first main wing was a Nova Rookie 28 (low ENB) and now a Rush3 26 (high ENB). In the meantime I got a Littlecloud 21.5, but I changed it for an AIRG Sophie2 23. I did an SIV with it. From the experience I have with it, I would say don't get anything smaller than a 22 (disregard the Littlecloud 21.5 I had, as this was only a miniwing with shorter lines, with a box style shape and way easier to control). With your TOW, similar to mine, anything smaller than a 22 acro / freestyle wing you'll find it way too demanding. You'll eventually get it, but it won't be a smooth transition.
It also depends a lot on what kind of main wing you're flying now. It's very different to jump onto a freestyle / acro wing from an ENA 28 than from a high ENB 28.
Hope it helps!
Juan

arabind's picture

Roman, I moved from a 27 sqm (wingover, SATs, stalls) normal wing at around 100 kg to a 24 sqm FS2 and the jump (loading as well as glider characteristics) though significant was manageable. After a couple of seasons on the FS2 I tried a 19 sqm Morpheus for a while and that was insane. Looking back I think 22 would have been the right size for me.
Cheers
Cheers