The secret fo MacTwist

Hello everyone!

I believe I have found the perfect recipe to do safe mactwists with my 19 m2 Morpheus!

I think that the secret is to pull hard the outer riser during the whole rotation, until it stops into deepstall. By doing so I eliminate the risk of being thrown to the side upon exit, followed by a massive cravat, as it has sometimes occured to me before I started pulling the riser.
Entry:
So exit Wing-Over (or AS Spiral), in a straight dive. As I start climbing , I pull hard the brake ( on the side of the last wingover turn), and I pull the outer riser quite hard, like I hold onto it. Sometimes I weightshiftt to the inside a little bit (just before I pull the brake).
Exit:
Usually I just keep pulling the riser and the inner brake until the rotation stops, falling backwards into deeepstall. Then release the deepstall. It usually takes 720 rotation.

What do you guys think of this idea? Does it work for you? I have done 21 mactwists since testing the technique and I haven't failed any. No cravat no twist.

Hope to help, Colin.

Latest Comments

monkbaaz's picture

Hey Pal!

I am very happy that you have answered and helped sort things out. I get the point really well by watching the videos, the 2 types of mactwist are very different. I have been focusing on the "height" of the mactwist, while I see in competitions, the speed of turn is what is scored. Anyhow, I have a REALLY great time spinning my glider so frekin' far under behind me, and I don't want to change that feeling in exchange for speed of turn. As I can do that safely, I am content with that.

As for the other type of entry, I get it is extremely dangerous, the glider is pre-braked (before the brake hardens) (before lowest point) and therefore spins without the pilot at higher energies = many twists. I have been in such situations, and had to throw my reserve.

So that's pretty most of it, thanx again for the detailed explanations and looking up to seeing you at Gerlitzen or other places round the world !

PalTakats's picture

Hi Calin!

Cool video, and I really don't want to dissapoint you, but there is one thing:

The reason why you can make it so safe and without any twists is because your glider starts spinning very late. A mac-twist is normally entered with a VERY fast and VERY agressive brake input in the moment - depending on the amount of energy more or less - when the pilot arrives to the lowest point and the glider starts spinning almost immediately. In your video you cannot spin and kill the energy of the glider straight away, but you start to swing upwards and sidewards, exactly the same way as the glider would enter an asymmetric sat. In the moment you start to climb you immediately loose energy and soon you are able to spin-out the glider, but it is more likely a dynamic, fast coconut spin move. It is due to the nature of the movement - which is more like a sidewards swing - that there is a pretty low chance of getting twisted or cravatted. You should definitely shorten your brakes or make another wrap or something to be able to spin out the glider straight away with that amount of energy, when the brake pressure is already high-enough. Don't misunderstand me Calin, I don't say that it is not a mactwist, because it is, but it is not a classical/radical one.

Watch this video at

3:38 - Mactwist by Hans Prunaretty
4:25 - Mactwist by Michi Titi Maquet (i think he was the best ever in that, but he also twisted in a several times in competitions. I must admit this one was also quite an extreme one)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu1yw_acrofolies-superbe-video-dacro_sport

Look when they pull the brake to spin the glider (both quite early) and when the wing starts to spin-out. Pretty much straight away. You will clearly notice the difference and what i am talking about.
You can also see that they are quite like careful with energy building before the maneuver. It doesn't need much, and a little too much turns quickly dangerous, so the right timing and energy management is important.

I can believe that your technique with pulling the outer riser down might help, but never tested it, I always just pushed it far out and tried to keep tension this way. But I am not a big expert and the last one i made was probably 3 years ago on a compulsory run :-) Anyhow, in case when a twist start to happen just stay calm and continue to spin or - even better - helicopter "out" the twist(s), never let it go into a spiral movement with your brakes locked...bad idea.

btw: don't "waste" too much time with this...there are plenty of safer and nicer figures to master!

Have fun by training!
Pal

panzar's picture

nice video ! clean mac twists ...

monkbaaz's picture

...And here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JULaOHcg70
I would like it if JustACRO would post the video under the MacTwist Trick description, along with the comments, I belive they are also useful.

Thank you very much Pal, Gabor and JustACRO team! Hope that more people will enjoy this awsome trick, SAFELY!

PS: even if there is a twist tendency upon exit, you can put your hand holding the brake in between the risers and push with your arm the insde riser (the right one, for a right mactwist) to the side, to stop the twisting. (while still pulling the other riser)

Have fun MacTwisting!

monkbaaz's picture

I mean pulling downwards, like you would hang on a rope. Just grab it near the brakeline roller (the whole riser) and pull, distributing more weight on it. By this the outer half of the glider gets more tension during the whole manoevre, and so it does not cravat anymore. Furthermore, even if the exit is a bit sideways, when you fall back under the glider the pulling also helps the rotation to complete. I never release until the rotation stops. By slightly weightshifting a bit on the inside I avoid twists, it helps me turn with the glider evenly.

lupus78's picture

What do you mean by pulling? Pull the riser into your direction, or holding the riser just to avoid twisting?

monkbaaz's picture

I have no "inside footage", a friend has a GO pro, I shall ask him to lend me his... As for "outside view" you can check on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_PGe-VdT9Q at 1:28 the working ones and 7:43 the failure type I was talking about. This was last summer, when I first tried the technique, I shall also make some new footage this spring.

panzar's picture

nice to share things like this !!!

do you have a camera that you could place on your knee so we could have a look what you mean exactly ?