Helicopter corrections!!!

discuss about the corrections on the helico.

Latest Comments

daniboy's picture

Thank you very much Gabor,
That´s what I was talking about!
Today, after I read your message, I tried a few helicos to helicos and gess what? I did it! And exactely with the corrections you´ve talked about...
So, I did a basic helico to my worst side (right), wich was pretty good actually, and than I stopped and got into an helico to the left, wich is my best side to control everything. As the helico to the left was not perfectly in the axis I started imediatly to brake fast when the flying side was about to come in front of me and worked perfectly. Those brake imputs avoids the flying side of the canopy to shoot every turn more out of the ´´central`` axis.
In the fist time I was a little delayed, but than I took the timming and it was not that dificult at all.
So, I have to say thank you for the tip as now I can do helico to helico (at least I did 4 times pretty good today).
Even if I had a relative good experience with the regular helico before, I wasn´t able to correct then properly and now I can with this simple tip.
It´s curious like a simple tip can do all the diference.
I was trying to correct the bad helicos stopping the rotation with the outer brake and when canopy looses the energy (almost stalling) I tried to put again into the helico configuration. As the glider loose the energy the pilot came naturaly to the central axis, as he (and the harness loaded) is heavier... and than it´s just put the glider again into the helico. That technic worked only a few times in hundreds of attempts and with this other conception that you explained I felt more confortable. It´s simple and works a lot!
Hope to go soon to Europe and meet you guys. The beer is on me!
Daniboy.

ps - I am now flying the Twister too and the rithmics are getting very good........ and V-E-R-Y H-I-G-H!... I already can see the I-manouver in the horizon...

gaborkezi's picture

Hey Daniboy,

I see you really want to learn, this is a good thing!
I think you already know a lot about the helico.

What I can tell you:
If you feel that your helico is a little bit instabil (oscillating) with giving deteremined short inputs on the break of the flying side in the moment before the canopy would spin a litte bit in front of you, you can stabilize this state and keep a quite nice helico running. With more experience and a little bit of luck you can switch into a smooth helico and after this you do not have to give more inputs.

It is important to find the good rhythm of the inputs.

In "justACRO Brasil Tour part 2" there is a short part where you can see Pal doing this in a sattoheli rodeo (inside shot). Maybe it helps.

Keep training!
Gabor

audacium's picture

It is not a top secret I believe, but I just started working myself on helicopter and I do not yet feel competent to give ideas on helicopter corrections :).

Pal and Gabor are travelling and have a hard time accessing the internet I guess. And all the other top pilots...probably also training :-).

Good luck for your training, still!

Eduard.

daniboy's picture

Since nobody wants to say (like it was a top secret)or don´t know what to say about this subject I will try to cooperate with some toughts.
First of all, the most important thing is that you can enter into a helico from regular flying (with negative spin enter), from parachtage and from fly back. Of course in all these 3 configs the comands and timming are diferent since in the first the air gets in the profile regularly (coming from the front), in the second you don´t have relative wind coming from the front or from the back of the profile(sometimes you can have a little from the back depending on the control you have from the perfect tail slide), and in the last configuration the relative wind is coming from the back of the profile, creating a kind of ficctional leading edge with the brakes works.
In each of those configurations the perception of the internal pressure is cruxial for the entering in the helico.
Also the drag from the side that is ´flying` backyards is important and I can noted that if this side has a little ´tip` pointing forward it´s a good solution if you brake a little the other side to equalize the drag (controling to not stall) and release a little the other brake. As the glider opens completly you can release the brake that you used to equalize the drag. This kind of correction avoids the increment of the shit (going out of the axis) and has to be fast.
As you understood how to enter into helico from flyback you are ready to start the helico to helico, because after stall the side of the wing that where flying forward you will see yourself in the flyback config. You will have to find the exactly point of it to enter the helico and it is very common to go out of the axis. I am dueling with my canopy very hard on this and after months of practicing I still can´t do it... That´s why I want to discuss about it!
Anyone can try to say something and we can togheter find the right technic. That´s the spirit of a real forum and of course the top pilots could give an exemple of greatness and share a little with the mortals, after all sooner or latter we will find the whys...
Come on guys, lets discuss!!! Lets try at least!!!
Come on top pilots, open your hearts and mouths too!!! Doesn´t hurt!!!

daniboy's picture

Hi everybody,
I´ve sent some questions to Pal in the Helico topic but I think he is not able to respond then right know. Probably because he is in Organyà trainning and internet around there is very, very dificult.
So I thought that this could be a very interesting topic for all of us.
I´ve been doing helicos for more than a year and they are pretty good right know... when it enters properly. But sometimes I enter a little out of the axis and I just try to brake a little the side that is flying normaly and it isn´t working very well as a correction.
I´ve been seeing a lot of onboard videos with pilots giving some input brakes very fast on the side that is flying normaly. So, is this the right form to correct a helico out of the axis? Does it works with a very bad helico? When to brake exactely? What´s the principles involved? Is there any other form to correct the helico? Lets discuss about these!
Good helicos to everybody,
Daniboy.