Entry acro wing - i guess size matters huh?

Hi everybody,

I'm about to buy a Gradient Freestyle as an entry acro wing. Have been doing some SIV and ACRO on my current Gradient Golden ll and will be doing my first Acro course this summer.

Now, after having narrowed my options down to Gradient Freestyle the question remains; what size? There is the size 20 and 22 on their website but they also offer size 24 and after a brief talk with the guys at Gradient they suggested I'd take the 24. I'm 90 kg. naked.

Now as I'm sure everyone in this sport has experienced there is a certain tendency from well meaning and experienced pilots to go for the safer option when asked for their opinion - understandibly so, I do the same.

So here's my dilemma; when I set up a comparison list of specs for my current Gradient Golden ll and Gradient Freestyle 24 this is what I get:

Area: Golden = 26,54 / Freestyle = 24,2
Flight area: Golden = 22,98 / Freestyle = 21,3
Span: Golden = 11,88 / Freestyle = 11,57
Flight span: Golden = 10 / Freestyle = 9,88
Aspect ratio: Golden = 5,37 / Freestyle = 5,69
Flight aspect ratio: Golden = 4,35 / Feestyle = 4,58
No. Of cells: Golden = 50 / Freestyle = 4,58
Weight range: Golden = 85 - 100 / Freestyle = 80 - 130
Wing loading (area): Golden = 3,77 / Freestyle = 4,13
Wing loading (flight area): Golden = 4,35 / Freestyle = 4,69

What do you think guys? I'm not a a guy that has emerged myself in wingdesign and maybe I'm overlooking some important features that makes a huge difference but I don't see the huge difference in the data. Would I feel a huge difference?

I want to be safe but I also want a wing that I can use for more than one acro course. What's your take?

All the best,
Robert

Latest Comments

RobertB's picture

Thank you all for your comments guys. I just received my Freestyle 22, can't wait to fly it! :)

pogozoli's picture

Hi!
I suggest the size 22. If you have 90 kg naked you will have about 105 kg in-flight weight, which is in the range of the glider.
It will be more dynamic than the 24, and more safe in dynamic stuff, where you need energy.
Zoli

erlendmc's picture

@fudiloch

I would argue your comments about not buying the Freestyle. Sats are very easy on the glider and it works very good for all acromaneuvers except rhythmic sat and infinity, which is not important for a freestyle glider. Brake travel is quiet long compare to an full on acro glider, but stalls are easy. The only problems I have had with the freestyle glider is to do a spinn landing where the glider keeps on flying after you land. Other than that, I have had very good experience with the glider and its been taking me up to a level where I can fly the sol super sonic. ( I just changed). The glider has never cravatted on any of the training I have done. D-bag from utralight @ 60km/h no problem. I have learned misty, helico and tumbles with it with no stress. The glider is very durable and lightweight too. It does have the gradient feel too which might be a good thing for Robert as he is already flying a gradient glider.

All in all I would recommend this glider, the question is the size:)
Yes, I have heard good comments on the ozone octane. And yes your comments on helico is backed up by this person ( second hand info from a guy that have flown both). I have also heard comments that the freestyle is a bit more dynamic.

Im quiet sure Robert will get happy with both gliders:)

fudiloch's picture

hi robert

it makes a big difference.

and on the other hand dont buy the gradient freestyle. the glider is quite dificult to stall and the sats are also not so easy. try some gliders before you buy one.the octane flx is really good very nice to learn helicopter.

fudiloch's picture

hi robert

it makes a big difference.

and on the other hand dont buy the gradient freestyle. the glider is quite dificult to stall and the sats are also not so easy. try some gliders before you buy one.the octane flx is really good very nice to learn helicopter.