Risers extensions or longer risers?

Hi there,

Has anyone came across deforming your glider while pushing from riser in SAT?
I fly Aspen 2 and my hand land above delta maillons on the lines which deforms the canopy. I have extended risers by 20cm using 22kN quick draws links used in rock climbing.
I wonder if anyone had this problem and has done something similar. What materials has been used if so.

To be honest I am worried if my solution is going to withstand very dynamic manuvers like Asy SAT :D

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Bartek

Latest Comments

mikesm08's picture

WTF Sylvester i know that dhuuuuuuude... have you got a point? The original post is by my friend. Americanos...meow

slyski's picture

mikesm08, WTF? This post is 4 years old dude...

mikesm08's picture

deform lines but not canopy? lol. somebody press the red button

bardal's picture

It's true, it is my decision but for a reason. I have got brakes out from pulleys and custom "acro" type brake handles installed. Handles are as high as possible and I want to hold them in both hands when performing SAT to Helico for example.

Anyway I do not experience any down sides of extending the risers. Glider does what I want and has great characteristics. I am just worried that the material of quickdraws links is not design for constant load and probably is not friction resistant.

Will see :D
Thanks for the comments guys.

lupus78's picture

It is interesting what you write Pal! I would think the same, but!
Many years ago, when Pal Takats was flying a Dune he modified it exactly the way as Bartek describes. He did it because he cloudn't pull the breaks low enough to make mactwist, and he haven't had any drawbacks as he told me.

You can see it here:
http://www.justacro.com/video/justacro/adrenaline-and-turbulence-balloon...
as 0:52 sec

Lupus

paal's picture

Making the risers longer will change the caracter of the glider totally.
When making the DUNE many years ago, the lenght of the risers was one on the things they testet to make it easier in heli and other manouvers.
So do not change this setting if you want to keep your glider like it is supposed to be.

WHY do you have to put your havd ABOVE the risers in SAT?
This is your decision, not something that just happenes.

Look at this video from a SAT with the Aspen2-22 (normal Aspen2 not the acroglider)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH_4wrxGJWs

zeroSIXzero

gforce's picture

In my opinion I think is not possible to deform the glider, but the lines is possible.
You should better go to make the porosity test for canopy, if is very old don't use it anymore.

Best Regards
Loco Mad Marius
Tel: + 40 723 333 193