cut way yes or not????

I have been flying acro for a few years and Im actually moving to a new acro wing, pretty small and much more dynamics than the wing I was used to.

I don`t really trust the ordinary paragliding reserve system for acro flying with high performance wings due to the high rotation speed this wings are able to reach,especcialy when U r in trouble :(
I was wondering if a cut away system, a real cut away ( like the groovy cut away <a href="http://www.profly.org/english_new/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.profly.org/english_new/index.htm</a> ) could be a good choige for safety.
Of course I dont mean to have only a cut away on my harness but my idea is to have a cut away+ regular reserve just in case U r tangled in the lines.....does anyone have some experience with the cut away??
The other question about cut away is this...it looks like groovy is the only 1 available...is it really the only 1 ?
it looks like due to the triple rings system the risers are shifted upward probably 10 Cm ( 4 inches ) or so....do U think that could be enough to change the wing behaviour....attachments point position is a very important factor when it comes to weight shifting and I don`t wanna lose my freedom of movement.

I would like to start a discussion with anybody interested on this issue `cause I really think there is still a lot to do on safety system for acro flying....and since acro flying is becoming such a big deal...lets start the conversation guys !!!

Latest Comments

lupus78's picture

I was also thinking about the cut away reserve solution, but I think it's too complicated and carries some risk.... what it the cutaway system malfunctions, and you've been cut away from you rescue! Or is there a safe solution for this?

On the original topic:
I think Cut Away harness is a nice solution from Profly. I don't know why other manufacturers don't implement this idea! A friend of mine has a Profly CutAway and he loves it.

yellowbird's picture

Hi there,

On my regular paraglider, I have a really crappy harness with a reserve that have forced me to make a emergency top-landing several times to pack back the reserve that almost have fallen out due to a bad solution on the reserve handle.

Almost all reserve-throws I've witnessed (XC) the glider starts fly when the pilot leaves the brake-lines, but unfortunately the pilot is now in his reserve without control.

Another bad dream is if you accidentally loose your reserve (happend in Norway twice with tandems :( )

So I would like to have a cutaway for my reserve so that IF my glider returns to flight I can cut the reserve, get a nice pendulum, and land wher I want. I know about steerable reserves, but I prefer my glider ;)

Any comments on cutaway on the reserve?

Vertical greetings -Mickey Mouse-