New wing for acro flying

Hello everybody. Please excuse me bad English. At the moment I´m searching for a new acro wing. But First some Information about me. I started flying in 2001. At the moment I´m working as an paragliding Instructor and my wing is a 4 year old Magic 3 S. Takeoff weight is about 90 kg.

With the Magic I am able to fly high wingovers, asymmetric spirals, loops and of course the sat. I´m also working on the deep stall and the helico by using a Flite (Airwave DHV 1) because I have to do most of the training over ground.

The new wing should be an acro wing because I would like practise the dynamic and the asymmetric sat. And in my oppinion serial class gliders are not strong enough if you do al lot of these very dynamical manveurs.

I was able to try an Morpheus 21 which belongs to a friend of mine. And I was very impressed by the high dynamics of this wing. It was absolutely easy for me to performe all the the tricks I am able to fly at the moment.

After a short telephone call to u-turn I decided also to try a Morpheus 18. They told me this one would better fit to my weight. What should I say. Unbelivable!! But I think it ist too hot for me. And of course you need a bit more of thermals to get up with this glider.

I think the best for me would be a kind of freestyle wing like the Airwave Burn because I would like to have a bit of "passiv security". I don´t need the absolutely last bit of dynamik to do an infinity. But maybe it would be an option to choose a Morpheus 21 because I liked the handling very much. Can anybody give me some Information about a differences between these two gliders. Especially the "extreme flight handling of the Morpheus 21 with my weight compared to the Burn. It would also be very interesting to know how difficult it is to fly the helico with this wings.

Thanks for your help.

Latest Comments

akira's picture

Thanks very much for your imput.

So if I understand correcly you shortened the inner lines of the brakes, that is one line for each side of the glider. Is that right ?

The effect is really spectacular on the dynamic full stall ... WOW I must try that,

Thanks again

agardilcic's picture

daniel;
me take off weight is 105kgs...which means 5kg per m2

akira;
I made the changes to my Burn....and it worked out well.....not perfect...but much much better.
i shortened the center lines of the brake.....gradually...until the center of the glider came together with the tips when i did stalls....

regards alfredo

here a low resolutin video....doing helicos with the Burn ......already trimmed as described.....
very bad exit.......but that was my mistake...not the glider.
http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=-2979050032849428890&hl=es

here a video with dinamics manouvers with the Burn...already trimmed.... if you notice....when i do the dynamic full stall...the center and the wing tips of the glider go together.
http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=7492494433843500193&hl=es

here a video of one of the first time i tried helicos with my morpheus 21...I am not an expert with this manouver...yet
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0DvkSPOCQ

hope it helps...regards alfredo

akira's picture

Well ... I am just starting to try helis with my burn but I can confirm that the parachutal is difficult to find due to the problem mentionned by agardilcic. The outter tips stall before the center. A guy from paraglidingforum.com told me that he modified the brake lines to solve the problem but I have not tried that.

I do not have more experience than you in acro ... so I cannot give you much advice ... I just wanted to confirm the parachutal problem. But I ve seen videos of the previous owner of my wing and he could do nice helis ... so ... I ll go back over the lake to practice.

Daniel's picture

Thanks a lot for the fast answer. There´s one thing left I would like to know. What is your takeoff weight with the Morpheus 21.

And of course I would like to know some more experiences with the Morpheus and the Burn from other guys.

agardilcic's picture

daniel.
i had a BURN(20.9 m2) and now i have a MORPHEUS(21 m2)

dinamics manouvers...both are good but morpheus is better.

but i now you are asking for helicos...
wel let me tell you ...
BURN: when you start doing parachutal for helicos...you will see that
wing tips stall before the center of the glider....the glider brakes in the middle
and it is very difficul to keep and stable parachutal.(because the glider looses its shape)

MORPHEUS:
at the moment ......this is the best glider i have flown to do stable parachutal.
....the glider stays complete open while parachuting (it doesnt loose its shape)
...no wing tips going back before the center of the glider...which is for me.. very important for helicos.

.....as far as i see.....MORPHEUS...is the rigth alternative.

hope it helps
alfredo (arica-chile)