AVA g2 base

What do people know about the new Ava G2 harness.
It is quite a lot cheaper than the sup air base.
Will the harness fly like the Ava acro t or is it more like a sup air acro.
What canopy are people going to use as a reserve. Base or skydiving reserve.

http://www.flugsau.ch/flugsau-sport-base-p-68.html?language=e&bigwareCsi...

Latest Comments

paramotornorway.com's picture

hi Pål my question is can I use rogalo reserve not base parachute on this harness
regards
JAN

paramotornorway.com's picture

Hi Guys so its possible to use rogalo in this harness `???? or normal reserve para shut???
???

qiv's picture

Hi Bidi,

thanks for pointing this out. The carabines came with the harness; but they are aware of this hypothetical problem and gave me the choice wether I want some Maillons or even larger carabiners if I was worried.

Anyways, the ring passes easily below the narrow part of the carabiner. Given the short connection I cannot imagine how that ring might slip above the locking mechanism, but even then a potential blockage is highly unstable as the sides of the carabiner are curved. I was not able to keep it blocked without pulling the carabiner at two points and keeping it leveled the force needed to let it slip was very small ...

Cheers,
qiv

Bidi's picture

hey qiv, thanks for the pictures, that was very helpful!

are the main carabiners supplied with the harness or did you install them yourself? it seems to me that this kind of carabiner is not the optimal choice to ensure the fastest/most reliable cutaway, as the largest ring has to pass just where the carabiner is quite narrow, due to the way the carabiner and the gate/locking mechanism is designed (dented inwards). maybe large maillons or different carabiners might be a better option. this is however pure speculation, and i might be completely wrong;-)

thanks again!

qiv's picture

Hi Pal,

Flugsau.ch and their partners also support you with packing and installing it (while Supair just sends you the thing with a DVD) ... So, really, there is no reason to worry :-)

Cheers!

PalTakats's picture

That is good to know :)

Still, maybe there is a way to buy the harness without getting much supervision and advice...that is the only thing I'm worried about.

shitname's picture

Hi Pal, it's always good to be concerned :-) , however, in my experience Flugsau.ch doesn't leave you alone with the task to find the right canopy. They gave me a recommendation for my weight (Reserve around 240 sqft. - which is quite big) and will do a backcheck if the canopy is suitable. A reserve is basically a basecanopy (and vice versa). They have both 7 cells and are larger than regular skydiving-canopies. I think the only major difference is in the "vents". Modern Base-canopies are vented, which allows for a little quicker opening and prevents the canopie from deflating when it hits something. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have nothing to do with flugsau.ch and I'm not a basejumper nor a skydiver. This is just what I found out personally and through basejumpers. regards

PalTakats's picture

Nooo way this is happening. This is wrong...very wrong...!!!

Ava shouldn't be selling without the reserve parachute and shouldn't give the option to the customer to buy something second hand...Normal skydiving reserves are NOT SUITABLE for this! Most of them are way too small and way too fast for our use and they are not even designed for low air speed deployments! These harnesses only make things safer if you use it the appropriate way! This is not it!
That's why the Supair harness is called the "BASE HARNESS", because there is a BASE CANOPY inside of it! And that is exactly why Supair does not sell the harness alone - because they may indeed SAVE YOUR OWN LIFE WITH THAT! The BASE canopies are designed for this kind of deployment and safety that we need, skydiving / freefalling is a completely different story!

All I want to point out is: any BASE canopy is good, but any skydiving canopy isn't!!!

Here is your place to buy a second hand BASE canopy: http://www.basejumper.com/classifieds/

Bidi's picture

Thanks for the update. If you are bored, please post a picture of the three ring system, bridle routing and base container pin/cable;-)

qiv's picture

So, I picked mine up this saturday at Flugsau :-) For the BASE resereve I posted an ad on dropzone.com and got a used skydiving reserve for about 420$ including taxes and shipment. The harness is slighly bigger than my old one due to the larger back (they adjusted the sizes a bit and maybe I changed size, the old label is not readable any more) and the larger protector. It is 5.5kg without and 11.5kg with the skydiving and a rogallo reserve (Team 5 Organge ST XL, 2.2kg). While I did not have the chance yet to trigger the BASE, the harness feels pretty similar to my old Independence/AVA harness.

John010's picture

Cheers Qiv,

I have been quoted more in the UK than from Sup-air direct!
I see Sup-air's webpage has just changed. I cant find the price list any more?

qiv's picture

PS: I am not sure about the Supair/RR BASE in size S, you cannot order it, but they have the size of the seat board on their hompeage, so maybe I messed things up ...

qiv's picture

John, I do not know about the UK, but in Switzerland prices vary among different imports. Then there is an acro league that offers its pilots some discounts on certain products.

Besides Supair has now size S on their homepage as well :-)

John010's picture

Qiv:

"if you get a decent deal"

So how do you get a decent deal?

qiv's picture

I do not know yet what canopy I am going to use. I still have some time to search for something used, but given the rather small market, that Germany relaxed the regulations regarding life time of reserve parachutes and my weight this seems hard. If I have to buy a new one I will probably go for a reserve as it is way cheaper than a light BASE canopy ...

allen27's picture

You could use something like the super raven reserve. Its only a little over $1000 usd new. I have seen them sell for much less second hand.
What canopy are you planning to use qiv?

qiv's picture

It is only really cheaper if you find a used rescue -- with a new BASE canopy it is not that much cheaper than the Supair (if you get a decent deal). BASE canopies seem to be hard to find (at least here in Switzerland) and there is the possibility to use a normal skydiving rescue as well, which might be easier to find used.

However it is quite a bit lighter and more compact than the Supair. The built quality is very high and they manufacture more sizes (including an S hopefully at some point). For the others the delivery time seems to be comparable to Supair.

Regarding the flying experience I can hopefully give you more information shortly -- it is supposed to be on its way :-D

kevinr6's picture

It is indeed cheaper, but it comes without the parachute.....