How to do Deep Stall not full stall!

Guys,

Please help me with deep stall. I practised it over the lake at least 5 times and every time it goes into full stall :).

I am flying thriller 2k12. The problem is that the break pressure goes to maximum and if I hold it a few secs at that point, it turns to full stall. My question is this:

On this glider what is the feeling you get when you are about to enter deep stall?

When the break pressure reaches maximum do you start releasing it when you see some changes to the glider ? If so what changes ? Or if there is a difference in the feeling.

One friend told me that you start to see the internal structure of the glider when you are going into deep stall..eg each cell feels like its sucked in. I dint see it.

What are the signs that you look for or feel to know that deep stall is approaching and how do you keep it there ?

I will try it again after I hear from you guys.

thanks in advance for your help.

Latest Comments

alexglider's picture

And about the feeling or changes in the glider, i dont kwon about visualy, but in the beginig it fells like the beginig of a full: the noise stops, the harness feels the same as if you are in a chair swinging back over only the 2 back feet and now pushed to muuuch, and your heartbeat goes crazy! - mine keep going all the time (hope never stops ;)
If you keep going, full stal. If you release, it flyes. If you keep it like a surfing in a butter feeling, stal.

alexglider's picture

I think the trick is achieve with mastery when you are able to perform inputs that are fast, precise, and minimum. To groundhandle the wing in flyback mode help to inprove this kind of input. So, now that I started working on helico, I usualy spend a lot of time doing this on the ground and, when in fly, if I have my condictions satisfied (nice height and nice peace of mind), I position my glider against the wind and start to slowly pull the breaks ultil it gets very hard (V.min). Buts i'ts like a spigot that loses the "close" point, and when you get it almost close, almost close... it loses and opens all over again. So, if I break it simetricaly, when it stall after that hard break point, the wing starts to go back me, and I release the breaks imediatly and, just after that, I try to break fast in a point that the wing stops just over my head. Well, If it works, then, I'm in a stall moment. And here begins the hard work of the fast and precise inputs that I was telling you in the beginig. The window of input is very narrow, and if you put a little more, it goes to full stall, and if you do it less, you kind of get it turning like a helico (if the other side are still in stall point), or a surge.
The body and wheithshift, when you get into stall, seem to me that have a great importance too in correct the wing, just like you feel when you are groundhandling the wing in flyback mode.
So it is. I think the secret is patiance, because the control of these little and precise inputs come with time/training.
It's only my personal impressions shared. Hope it help us. :) Cheers!

Martini's picture

Hey Felix, I learned Stall on my Emilie22 my weight is about 90 kg.
My advice is first of all you should be confident with the surge of your glider and with your V.min (most break without stalling).
Then you discover your Stallpoint: 1. hold V.min until there is no pendulum (search for reference like at my wing with my weight it is right above the carabiner) 2. if you move your hands symmetrically a half centimeter it is going to stall, while your vector is going forward you can release the glider and break the following surge.
Once you confident with that you start training parachutage/deep stall and flyback or in better words Stall and holding in certain position equivalent to the preferred behavior. Those things are going to help in your evolution, "deep stall": 1.V.min until there is no pendulum, 2.Stall, 3.hold your risers at 20-25 % breakes, now you in parachutal or deep stall, your wing is not flying forward either backwards but fully open, 4. release and fly away.
Be careful! Sometimes you will have to correct, don´t do too much and don´t be insisting, it is better to stop and start from the beginning. By holding your risers you make sure at the beginning that your breakes are symmetrical, if it starts turning you know your weight is asymmetrical.
hope I can provide you some helpful information and you are still training!
good flights!

felixB's picture

Thank you very much Mathias. I will try what you suggested and see how that goes.

Kimsmile's picture

Hi Felix
Last week, I practiced my first deep stalls over Lake Garda and managed to hold it for around 5 seconds after 3 days. I am training on a Air'G Sophie 2 (23) with a total weight of around 105kg. I did around 30 fullstalls before that.

At first, I also tried to deep stall the glider with long, slow brake inputs just near the stall point. That's possible but very hard, because you need to be super symmetrical in order to get it right. It's actually easier to do it in a quicker way: Brake around 50% to slow down your glider and give it a moment. When it stopped any pendulum movement, push both brakes just below the stall point in a fast, symmetrical movement of around half a second just until it's about to fall back into full stall. At that point, quickly release the brakes with a similar movement up to the deep stall point. It is higher than the flyback point but not very much. You will find it trying. If you miss it, you either fall into full stall or the glider will shoot forward back to normal flight. Be prepared to stop any aggressive surge. To do the deep stall right, symmetry is very important!

You should also keep calm and practice in a safe environment! In deep stall, you get to know your glider from a different point of view... The glider behaves very unpredictable and can pick up a lot of energy, e.g. if it shoots asymmetrically. Correction movements in deep stall have to be quick but calm and smaller than one might think. It's like a fluid dance with your glider. If you lack of patience, you can enter heli just after half a second in deep stall with the glider above or just a little bit in front of you.

I was having a lot of fun practicing deep stall and can't wait to do it again. But you have to be more precise than with many of the dynamic movements and many need a lot of patience and time to master it. I'm far away from that.

I also learned to reach deep stall from fullstall. But just do it if you have plenty of heigt! Just prefill the glider slowly until you reach flyback. Then just continue soulfully and symmetrically until you reach deep stall.

Have a lot of fun and stay healthy!

Cheers,

Mathias