Sequence of progression

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge! In this post I would like to ask you for the best acro learning sequence - from very basic maneuvers all the way to infinity tumbling. What would you suggest would be the best and most effective training?

I am an aspiring and beginning pilot. I cannot do much yet, but I feel comfortable full stalling my wing, I know how to do nice asymmetric spiral and SAT. I am working on wing overs and I have them almost nailed down (still get some deflations on the outside tip), so I will focus on them for a while. I feel comfortable with tail slide can even do a turn or two (entering only from full stall - I tried to do it from deep stall and got an ugly riser twist but recovered nicely),

On the flying end of things I would like to master WO and after I would like to focus on reversals, and then loops. Asymmetric SAT would come next. Then rhythmic SAT, tumbling, infinity?

On stalling end of things I would like to do some dynamic full stalls. After that I imagine I would like to learn helicopters, misty flips, mac twists...

Am I going in a right direction? It feels ok, but I would like to ask someone who went already through all those steps to give me some friendly advice.. sort of like a training plan...

Could anybody give me any sort of idea as to how to measure the progress against time. I realize it is a highly individual thing (pilot's determination, gear, conditions etc), and each pilot will take different amount of time to learn the skill, but I would like to hear from people who have done it... how long did it actually take you (say number of flights) to nail down given maneuver.

Thank you kindly,

Pawel

Latest Comments

monkbaaz's picture

Hours of training....:))
Just a flat fact:
30 training days at Gerlitzen, Austria. Flyable: 21 Total take-offs: 109
effective training time (acro and failure recovery) :..... 150 minutes
....so: 30 days - 150 minutes.
Total acro descending distance... approx 90km
Tricks learned (but not mastered, still need finishing and accuracy) (new glider Morph19)
W-O, Dinamic Fulstall, Looping, SAT2Coconut, Helicopter,AS Spiral, AS SAT, Tumbling (including safe exit! :)) and Rythmic SAT.
Connections:
SAT2Helli, Dinamic Fullstall2Helli, Tumbling2Helli,SAT2Loop, Loop2Tumbling,
Failures:
Cravattes....20?/Twists... 2-4 turns...6?/ Shoots quite:P near to the canopy... 6/ In the canopy...almost (just toutched it) pfui! :P
+ bonus: locked spiral with 4 twists 2 loop...
Reserve openings: None
Water landings: None.
Most dangerous trick (for me): Tumbling (exit)
Before I got to Gerlitzen I was flying an Icaro-Cidan 25sm. W-O,SAT2coconut,FST

Hope that this summary may come to help, I insist that training time is SUBJECTIVE!
Wish you good flights, safe and skillfull training!

Colin

JaroXS's picture

Czesc Pawel,

First off all asymmetric sat is the same like dynamic sat, only the name is different. Try to master WO, then asy.spiral. If you know all that, step forward to loops. You said you know the sat really good. To do asy.sat you need some nice asy.spiral to make the energy. Dont do the asy.sat from WO, it will be rather like tumbling, you dont need that in the beginning. To learn negative figures especialy helicopter you need to master the parachutal stall. Helicopter is much more difficult then other dynamic figures but in the movies it looks so easy. Dont worry if you are flying all the time, one year of training and it will be perfect ;-)

Then decide by your own what will be next. I would choose the mc twist then misty flip, tumbling, rythmic sat, and of course Infinity :-D

Oh i forgot misty to infinity in the end ;-)

So how many hours of flying to nail down the trick ? The anserw is fly as much as you can ;-). This is the only way. If you want to be perfect in acro stop flying XC do only acro ;-)

Mam nadzieje ze Ci pomoglem jak cos napisz maila do mnie po polsku ;-)

Pozdrawiam

Jaro XS