Asymmetric SAT exit

I'm trying to understand the asymmetric SAT exit better, as the trick description seems to contradict advice from other places. The trick description says that you should exit when the glider is starting to dive and is on the horizon (just about to start going below you). However, it also says that the exit is similar to a tumbling. It seems from other sources such as Theo's tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-sU4y8ox0) the exit for Rythmic, Infinite, and Tumbling should be initiated the moment you pass directly over the glider. To me this sounds like the asymmetric SAT description is telling you to exit 90 degrees earlier than the others, if I am understanding correctly. Is this right?

Latest Comments

acromarmot's picture

Sorry for the bad spelling... A bit tired, I guess ;-)

acromarmot's picture

Hi KrisH,
you could count that way (and then Raul does three turns while in the last one his already on the brakes when the glider reaches 12 o'clock). I count a bit different but in the end it doesn't matter: I lead in [and that means I pull the glider somehow underneath me] and when the glider is underneath me I am at 0. Next time the glider is underneath me (6 o'clock) it's 1, than I wait for the second time ...and when the glider is somewhat around 9 I apply break and don't allow him to do a complete third turn [he will shoot/rotate maybe to three o'clock but that's the absolute maximum and then I'm swinging back underneath the wing].

If the asySAT is not that high you can keep the inner break locked and the rotation angle decreases until normal SAT, I tried that as well. On the other hand, if you're doing asySAT so high that you have to stall it's not really an asySAT longer (because most likely you would need to release and pull the brake to gain energy and change the angle of rotation and then it's more rhythmic out of asySAT). Doing high asySAT and exit with stall can be in my opinion a way to learn the stall exit timing for rhythmic and infinite [you can learn to stall exactly in time but if you fail the consequences are not as bad as out of Tumbling or Rhythmic]

I also don't see why antirhythmic would be useful in asySAT. To me asySAT is a SAT pulled on the same side like the last turn and keep the inner break locked. By this the glider cannot gain more energy and clearly I will run out of rotational energy sooner or later (with my wing I guess I can do three pretty dynamic turns and two really high ones [if you wait too long with the entry it's crazy high but you cannot even risk one full turn, I tried that].
I learned to use the antirhythmic when doing rhythmic or tumbling (to infinite). But that's different as in rhythmic we let the glider shoot extremely every turn and gain rotational energy. In Tumbling we have way more energy from the start. Angle of the rotation axis is way bigger. And then antirhythmic means more or less to take both hands up and wait until the glider with one or two rough turns
decreases the angle of rotation to a level the whole thing turns into a normal SAT or deep spiral.
But this is only possible with acro gliders of a certain construction/date of construction .... If I'm not wrong Pál performed antirhythmic in 2012 and I'm not sure if it was possible with the gliders before that time.

Cheers!

KrisH's picture

Thanks acromarmot, that's very helpful and much more clear. Just to make sure I understand, in your counting scheme if you were to complete 2 turns, that would mean lead in...full rotation back to 12 'oclock, second rotation starts, brake at 9 'oclock, exit, leading out in a spiral at 3 'oclock? Assuming I'm counting correctly, it looks like Raul does 3 turns then.

One thing I am unclear on is the use of the antiryhthmic...the trick description and acromarmot's description both suggest that you must actively exit a high asymmetric sat with a "stall" exit, or risk not having enough energy to complete the next turn and maybe getting a big collapse/fall into the lines. It would seem like doing nothing but waiting to come down in antirhythmic contradicts this?

Fabian's picture

Easiest way is just to wait until it comes down into normal SAT (antirhythmic) and then exit it as a normal sat, but it takes (a lot) more altitude

acromarmot's picture

Hi KrisH,

I think also that the description is a bit confusing. Here's my bit of input:

In general you could exit the asySAT exactly as Rhytmic, Infinite, Tumbling. That would be breaking/stalling the wing between 6 and 9 o'clock (if you think of the glider rotation in clock scheme)
The first AsySATs I did that way. As the glider doesn't have that much speed (compared to Rhytmic/Infinite/Tumbling) and one side is already breaked quite much the wing stalls immediatley.

But as we already realized that the glider isn't that fast we could also wait longer and break later. So the glider can be somewhere around 9, 10, 11 o'clock, depending on the glider and it's speed respectively rotational energy. You apply heavy break on the outer side (maybe increase break also on the inside) but just until the wing stops and then you let it fly again (both hands up). This way the wing doesn't stall but take care not to wait too long. To wait until the glider is on the horizon is in my opinion a bad idea.

So in high Rhytmic/Infinite/high Tumbling we have to break between 6 and 9 (that would be when you start to fall down again and g-force is increasing, or when you pass over the glider) because otherwise we're most likely not able to stop the rotation of the glider and risk falling into the canopy. In asySAT we have more time as the glider doesn't have that much rotational energy, so depending on speed and glider we could just wait and stop the glider a bit later.

Check Raul Rodriguez' video "solo maniobras 2015", minute 3:38. There you can see quite good how it works. If you're interested I can also provide a synchronized video from me ...

Start with early entries. That brings more speed and the angle is not that big. It's safer in the beginning. Take 2 max 3 turns in the beginning and count: "...lead in...first turn... second turn...stop!"

I'm no pro so maybe ask an acro trainer to have more qualified opinions.

Cheers!