Choice of Freestyle Wing (Airwave Burn vs Air-G Sophie versus RR Rolling)

Today I test flew a 21m2 Airwave Burn and enjoyed it very much... it´s a playful wing with a very precise turn and a really direct feel. It also felt very solid and very safe, and I imagine it´s about as safe as a DHV-2 with a little extra dynamism.

I´ve heard many good things about the Air-G Sophie, although there aren´t many videos of it available.

And the RR Rolling is widely recognized as a calm, safe freestyle wing with lots of potential for maneuvers.

I´ll be changing wings next year (I´m currently flying a Niviuk Hook S over the top weight) and I want a freestyle wing that isn´t too hot. Where I fly (Lima, Peru), we only practice with about 200-250m altitude over water so I want a wing that will be more dynamic than my current wing and more precise also, but without sacrificing safety. I currently do max amplitude wingovers, SAT, and have just worked out the full stall (did my fourth and fifth full stalls today).

So, which of these wings would be your choice? I also want a decent "floatiness", not a wing that flies like a piano. I am thinking either the Rolling 24, or the Sophie 23... but I am not sure how dynamic the Sophie is. The Burn seems to me like a great wing but what I don´t like is the size... 21 sqm means I won´t be able to float very much at all in Lima´s coastal conditions. My takeoff weight is 98kg.

Thanks in advance!
-Alex

Latest Comments

BookeeWookee's picture

Hi Alex,

So what did you go for in the end?

Grüßle,
Christian

Andi_M's picture

Im flying for 1,5 years now. I bought a Sophie in August (tested many times before :D) and i really like the wing.
It´s stable, easy to SAT, stall etc. Pretty dynamic for the size of 23m and also perfect for soaring and thermaling. I made a little video of the summer with my Sophie :D https://vimeo.com/56026952

take care
Andi

rimwithbrim's picture

I've been flying the Rolling 22m for about a year and a half now and I really like it. Its a pretty dynamic wing behaves really well when negative. Seems to be tricky in heli but that probably has more to do with my skills than anything :-)

Plenty of lift @ about the same take off weight as you. Our LZ here is ~5000' so I'm flying it at higher altitude than sea level. I don't think I'd want the bigger size but have flown the 24m and it was still fun. Just not as spicy.