Roll over informations

i am going to perform a roll over from a balloon in two weeks...It's the first time for me, so are there any particular things to take care off..i meticulous observed the maneuver (lots of video) and i'm ready..but maybe there are some traps which could be easy to fall in...I ask myself a question: just before the jump, what is better: holding only the break, or holding the risers and then leaving them to break the surge...??
Thanks for all!!

Latest Comments

nopa's picture

Domi jumped once out from the cable car of the Gemmi. But I don't think that they will do it for every one - it was a photoshooting for Red Bull.
You can find a picture in the gallery of Gingliders
http://www.gingliders.com/downloads/gallery-pg_de.php?page=1 the third pic in the last line
(in the past it had 2 other pictures, but they are removed)

PalTakats's picture

Hi!

I don't know about roll over places in Switzerland...but it doesn't mean there isn't any...

Thanks, I'm on the way back!

See you,
Pál

SHAMAN's picture

Hi Pal,
it s quite funny the way you describe your first experiences with rollovers out of balloons....!

Do you know a place in Switzerland where it would be possible to make a rollover ? Like a high bridge with a possibility to land down below. I m shure you know what I mean.

I would appreciate very much some lines if you should know of such a place.

Keep rockin`

-shaman-

PS. Have seen you on crutches recently in Interlaken. Have read what happened in zhe high grass...
I wish you a fast recovery.
Man, you really rock ! Keep on rocking !!!!!

<
<

bebetesteam's picture

Thank you very much Caveman...i will put the video on the net !!!! Have fun ....see you

PalTakats's picture

Hi!

The most important thing - don't jump like you want to make a frontflip! If you do that you will turn way over and will face the ground when you arrive below the glider. You have to jump forward as far as possible (same like when swimmers jump into the water) to keep the lines tight. You will fall at least 20 meters till the glider starts to inflate (line lenght x2 + the glider itself is also falling down with you) so that's enough time for your body to turn around without making any roll movement. In the moment of the jump off I'd keep the brakes together with the risers (and push them out a bit to the side), but while you're already falling, it doesn't matter anymore, just let it go and keep the brakes slightly and symmetrically to prevent a strong shoot forward (no need to stall, but also don't let it go all the way). Make sure that no lines stuck to the basket of the ballon, the best is to cover the whole side that you are jumping from with a blanket or whatever - that'd sux to rip your wing :-)

Also very important: from the moment you start preparing your glider for the jump and hang it down the ballon has to be absolutely stationary - no climbing up and no sinking!!! The captain has to adjust 0 vario for those minutes. If it is climbing your glider will start to inflate and might pull you out if you're already standing up (not so funny), if it is sinking than the air comes from below and the material of the glider might float up in front of you - also not very good :-) Unfortunately this happened to me once when we had no experience and in 5 seconds the wing completely twisted and knotted, no way to make it clear again...we had to land.

You have to choose a basket that is for sure big enough to climb out, stand up and be able to jump off nicely even with the harness on your back. That's not really possible with small, 4-5 person ballons.

Anyway, no worries, it's not so difficult if your legs are not shaking too much, just jump with head in front as far as you can!

Have fun!!