Europe - Switzerland, France, Spain, Austria, Germany, Italy

I am going on a trip through Switzerland, France, Spain, Austria, Germany, Italy with a buddy of mine on a BASE jumping / Paragliding / Speed flying trip we have lodging in Lauterbrunnen from the 14th of aug to the 24th of sept. and we will be traveling these other places anytime between those dates we are curious about a few things.

Can anyone tell us the must fly locations in these area's?

Does anyone want to take a couple of foreigners out for some flights if we buy the beers?

I look forward to hearing from whomever can help

thanks,
Shane
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

Latest Comments

audacium's picture

Well, there is a beautiful wall near Salzburg, I will show you when you come here. It is a rather advanced site, though, it is mandatory to always have clean exits and good subterminal tracks. But do not think that there are really "big walls" here like they exist in Norway :). We are talking about 7-10 seconds delay. There are other possibilities not too far away from Salzburg, but I have not yet jumped them personally. So I would like to go there anyway and jump them, I will contact a friend who knows these sites.

For nice acro sites: no problem. In Germany, I like Wallberg near Munich / Tegernsee quite a lot, it has quite some height (about 900 m total) and you can do approx. 3-4 manoeuvres. In addition, it is really beautiful to fly there. In Austria we have for example Krippenstein with 1700 m height, that is really awesome. Ossiacher See / Gerlitzen in Kaernten also offers a lot of height (not as much as Krippenstein though), and in addition there are many acro pilots constantly training there, so you have a real "scene" over there. Obviously, there are many many more sites (Zillertal, Stubaital, ...), but those above are the ones where I like to go to for acro. For XC the supply is endless anyway.

See you, Eduard.

Sinister's picture

Thanks for the reply Eduard I'll drop you a line when I come over that sounds great. I will be going to Salzburg and Garmisch for sure but if there is anywhere else in particular that you would recomend going to I am wide open . . . . there is some bigwall jumps in Austria?
I just ordered a new acro wing so I am really looking forward to finding some places to fly it. But some XC is allways good as well.

Shane
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

audacium's picture

Hi Shane,

if you happen to pass through Southern Germany or Austria simply drop me a message and I will be happy to help you out where possible. I do mostly paragliding now and less base jumping but sharing a nice cliff is always good :). There are some beautiful cliffs also in Austria (Germany not really though). Possibly also some bridges. For paragliding, no problem, there are really many excellent sites in Germany as well as in Austria, for acro as well as for XC. For speedgliding you would have to foot-launch, there are not really any good glaciers with snow in summer in Austria for ski-take offs. Pal is right that for ski-speedgliding you probably have to go to Chamonix or similar high mountains. Maybe also Saas-Fee, but I do not know how this is for speedgliding.

But Lauterbrunnen is anyway probably the best culmination point of all those sports!

See you, Eduard.

Sinister's picture

Thanks for the reply I am from Ca, Salt Lake is awesome I love that place. I'd love to hear any intel you may have on where to go while I am there

Thanks,
Shane
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

millerutah's picture

Shane, where are you from? I live in Salt Lake, Utah and I travel over there quite often to speedfly, xc, and acro. I can make some recomendations. You are doing it right so far, making Lauterbrunnen home base is perfect. That valley alone is full of fun. Sounds like a blast.

PalTakats's picture

Hi!
Eurail, cool!
Yeah, Chamonix could be the only good place for speedflying this time, maybe at Grande Montets or Aiguille du Midi...I'm not a local expert either. If you are motivated you can also take the jungfraubahn from Lauterbrunnen, go up to 3500 and climb up to one of the 4000's, then ride down :-)

Drop me an email and I'll help you out.
Pál

Sinister's picture

Great thanks for the reply we will have an eurail pass and will be getting around that way. We are looking to do some XC and some Acro I also hear there were some good places to go speed fly in Chamonix but we don't know where. If you are around during the dates we are there we should meet up and go fly. . .

Thanks,
Shane
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

PalTakats's picture

Hi!

I think I can help you out with flying sites around Interlaken...hopefully I will be also back in the air till that time :-)
How could you travell around all these countries, would you rent a car or something? Depending what you are our plans, how much money you have, how far you'd go I can give some tips...Beside jumping, what else you want to do XC, acro...?

I'd definitely go to Coupe Icare festival at the end of your stay (18-21 sept) in France and before or after visit some great places nearby like Annecy, Chamonix, etc...

Cheers