Yin and Yang

Hi Guys,

I would like to try a trick called yin and yang, at least that is what Enleau O'Connor calls it in his Broken Toe Acro DVD.
It is done by pulling asymmetrical deflation on one side of the wing and spinning the wing on the other.
I do have some acro experience like SAT,wing-overs,looping,asymmetrical spirals and I feel comfortable with full stalls,but for some reason I am hesitant to try this trick on my own over the dirt for the first time.
Does anybody have any experience with yin and yang trick, suggestions and input would be awesome.

Thanks
Sly

Latest Comments

slyski's picture

LOL,good stuff Benny.

gleitmittel's picture

hy sly

i know this "trick" with different names, like dani-spin or whirly gig - it looks somehow funny, but... ?-)
you do a 50% collapse on one side, then stall the glider on the other side. no big deal.
for exit just do it the other way round, release the one-sided stall and then release the collapse.
but i think there are more interesting things to learn, don`t waste your time too much on this...

ZMercan's picture

Hi Mikey,

Cheap-Sat !?! Hehh hee ...
Check out this one "Cheap- Tumble" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxe17Vubu04

Hi Sly,
that ying-yang trick sounds so Un-cool man !!!! Why trying anything over the dirt first time? Can`t you swim as well :-) ?

yellowbird's picture

Hi Sly,

I haven't had a look at the Broken Toe video, but to me it sounds like he's doing a "Auto-Rotation" where you provocate a assymetric deflation on one side and holding it where the wing starts slowly to spiral to the deflatet side, then by itself going into something looking like a SAT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAK1bcT-odY

Myself I did this before I got a wing that was easy to SAT with and I called it the Cheap SAT because you just pull A-riser on one side, let yourself fall to the collapsed side and hold on to the collapsed side. You'll enter the autorotation, and when you've had enough you just release the A-riser and the wing automatically reinflates, turns back and enters a spiral dive. Do NOT try to pump out the deflated side as it will slow down the process of going back to normal flight.

There are pilots who are doubtful to this manouver as the wingload will be mostly on one side, but this is a quite common SIV manouver where you'll experience what can happend with a cravatte, and some SIV instructors let their students do this as initiation to throw rescue.

NOTE: You mentioned "Spinning the wing on the other" What I've described above includes NO provocated spinning of any kind. It's the same physics as in a SAT where one side of the wing brakes the wing in rotation so much it can't follow the spiral and you get the SAT-sensation.

Ex Cubus-SAT master ;) (Cubus is a low-priced clothes chain-stores in Norway)

Vertical greetings -Mickey Mouse-

-No pierdas más tiempo, porque la vida es corta!-