Rhythmic SAT into Tumbing...

Okay, got the new 20m Thriller (my all up is 107kg)... and my tow rig is working perfectly... The fall weather where I live is allowing for towing almost every evening now... Time to really kick up the Rhythmic SAT training with the goal to get into a tumble and hopefully one of these days keep it in there for enough turns to call it an Infinity... At least this is the dream.

So, Rhythmic experts... I need some help understanding correct body position and how/when to push on the posted up hand. Also, a good description of when/how long/how hard to apply break. I am having a difficult time synching up the feeling and visual references with brake inputs to smoothly bring up the amplitude. At some point when the wing starts to get out at a 45 degree angle, my inputs start to become ineffecient and the outside wing tip is cravating badly...

Help! Have the wing, have the boat to keep it safe, just need the understanding and practice to get the skills!

Thanks, Jon Malmberg

PS: Pal... this wing is sooo good... I even ordered a 26m and sold my DHV 2 for just boating around on... Stoked! I saw the Load Testing on the 24m, and am looking forward to seeing you put the 26m through the same tricks!

Latest Comments

theo's picture

Hi,

We all have lot of plan for our progression, we also all have our favorit tricks, anyway all the rythmic's exemple here are nice, and even if all are different, they are all working, but don't forget that you will probably not making perfect tricks immediatly, that's true for heli, rythmic, misty etc, and even if some tricks are easier, you will probably miss it sometime and then only 1 thing is important : master the exit.

And this is probably the most important things for rythmic and infinit : for your first infinity exit you don't care to get a beautiful, perfect, and competitions exit, you need to exit safely, so when the glider is going under you, just after she was at the deepest point you make full full stall until the glider come over your head and then exit with flyback it is not beautiful but it is safe, we you will be cool in infinit train nice exit. ;-)
Also rythmic and infinit are tricks wich can be really dangerous, you have to get no doubt when you perform them, for exemple don't think : "should I stop, no I shouldn't, oh yes I should !!'' this is how you fell down in your canopy. When a turn is going you have to make a decision you let it go or not but never stop it after you said ''I let it go'' it would be most of the time too late. Then rythmic technic and the other stuffs are just training ;-))

Cheers,
Théo

bambam's picture

Dani,

Thanks for the PM... Sorry about jumping on ya a bit there. Nice video, and it obvious you have this figured out as well. Interesting to watch the slightly different techniques you guys are all using. Timing is relatively the same, but everyone has a slightly different input style... heavy and deep... smaller and quicker... Now I get to go out and work on visualizing what I am seeing in all of your videos and turning it into something that I can feel and sense on my own. Towed last night, and back up tonight... The next week is nothing but calm winds and burning gas...

Thanks a ton guys... Letcha know in a few months how things are working out... Don't worry Simon, Helico is also at the top of the list to work on as well. Seems like if I can dial Helico's and Rhythmics, that a lot of the other moves fall into place.

Ciao, Jonny Rotten

Acro-Dani's picture

*** To all who dislike anything I do: I don't care!!! ***

"sarcasm on"
DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF, YOU COULD GET KILLED!!! ONLY FLY EN A GLIDERS AND DON'T DO ACRO AT ALL!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ACRO IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET KILLED!!! THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS JUST A THEORETICAL EXPLANATION HOW ONE COULD DO IT AND IS NOT MEANT TO BE TRIED IN REAL LIFE!!!
"sarcasm off"

I enter the SAT slowly and take some extra speed into it. The very moment the glider goes into the SAT I release the brake and let it shoot. Just after its lowest point I pull it back into the SAT and the moment it reaches the highest point I let it shoot again. After passing ~45° I brake just moments (about 0.2s) after the glider passes the lowest point and release the brake just before it reaches the highest point.

I pull the brake relative slowly down and release it pretty fast. From the brake duration I use about 3/4 to pull down and 1/4 to release again, that works best for me (Thriller 15, 83kg).

I sit in the middle of my harness, no weight shifting at all during the whole time holding the left riser while rhythming with the right brake.

Exit is the most important part: YOU HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT!!! Just after the glider passes the lowest point => Stall it! If you're to early: you get a mess, if you're to late: either you get a mess or you become a mess.

bambam's picture

Dani...

Why the anger man!? Dude, most of on this forum are somewhat competent and fully understand the consequences of what we do. I also skydive/base/speedfly and get the fact that ACRO paragliding is dangerous. I also could care less what you do...

But, I do like your description of how your doing/feeling the entry into the SAT and then into the Rythmic... Yeah, agreed that proper exits are king. Along with the great videos that mikesm08 sent me, I will hopefully be able to build up a smooth and properly controlled Rhythmic... A note to you guys who have really good Rhythmic SAT into Infinity videos. It would be awesome if you could do a voice over explaining your take on the timing in regards to what your feeling and the visual cues...

Jeremy and Simon... great training vids! They will help for sure.

Thanks, Jon Malmberg

mikesm08's picture

.time to do helico training Daniel...

bambam's picture

Simon...

Definitely there with not going vertical right away. Super easy wing to loop straight over with only one or two wingers to build energy, and goes very nicely almost to vertical in assy. sat... Yes, I can helico it, but definitely not well... Agreed that I have tons to work on... ahhh but, this is the best part about acro flying... always can get better and better!

So... yes... got lots to work on... super good helicos are actually my first priority right now, but I like the positive world as well. And, those same skills are what is going to make the rhythmic work. No intention of going vertical until I can really start to both feel and develop a visual reference regarding inputs. This is the feedback I am looking for. I am all about the baby steps, but want to make sure I am taking those steps in the right direction..

Cheers, Jon

simon2's picture

can you even do helico with the glider? maybe start with this first!

go step by step with the rhythmic. dont try to get vertical as soon as possible. try to understand the rhythmic sat!

than it will be safe. its easy to get vertical with a thriller - but if you do something wrong you can also fall into the canopy with this glider man!!

simon2's picture

can you even do helico with the glider? maybe start with this first!

go step by step with the rhythmic. dont try to get vertical as soon as possible. try to understand the rhythmic sat!

than it will be safe. its easy to get vertical with a thriller - but if you do something wrong you can also fall into the canopy with this glider man!!