first tumble attempt

To all of you more experienced pilots...first tumble attempt from asy spiral or spiral dive?
Thanx for any advice.
Cheers.

Latest Comments

Brutolf's picture

Okay thanks!
I'm about to learn SAT and then I thought it could be cool the pull of a loop at the end to keep the flow going and make it look better.

theo's picture

Hi Brutolf,

Actually you can do tumbles with every glider, I already saw some pilots doing it on dhv 1-2 after an assym spiral and spiral in fact if your glider can do sat it can do tumble as well, the energy you have in tumble depends of your glider sure but I am pretty sure that every gliders are able to do at least one turn of tumble! :) Even with a school glider :)(but I guess it is not that smart to try it out :))

About loop you are right, pulling tumbles is like pulling sat in fact, you pull quite hard on the brake without any outside brake, considering this I think that if you pull the brake with outside brake you will do loop even by pulling quite hard, but I suggest for the beginnig you put the same brake impulse than on a loop after an assym. spiral! it should be the same ! :)

regards,
Théo

Brutolf's picture

I've got a question about how not to do a tumble ;)

I've done loops from wingovers and asymetric 360 but now I'm thinking about learning it from spirals but wounder if I could screw it up and go into a tumble by mistake?
Whats the difference between entering a tumble or just make it a loop?

From what I can see on videos it looks like for the tumble you just brake hard and only on one side but for the loop you brake a little less and also follow up with the outside brake just like a wingover.

I fly an 18m Awak with paramotor at 95kg so tumbling it wouldn't be impossible I think.

JaroXS's picture

Hi again,

there is no reason to be afraid doing it from WO. Your are flying on Thriller 20 so it will be easy and there is a lot of energy in your wing. Just keep in mind the right timing, and of course remember to stop the canopy after two turns...

I remember when I was also afraid doing it from WO on my Nikita 19m, but after the first attempt I realized that there is almost no difference between high asymmetric sat and soft tumbling ;-). That's why the training of high asymmetric sat is so important!

BTW I'm just waiting for my new Nikita 3 22m, and I hope I will have time to finally masterpiece my helicrapter :-). This year I just work too much and don't have any time for nice acro training... :-(

So sad... :-(

Have fun Blazej in Oludeniz!

Regards,

Jarek

BlaMac's picture

I will start from asy spiral then, from spiral dive if it feels good. Well,Im not experienced as some of you guys but too less energy from wingovers I would say...at least for me

Czytalem Twojego maila na FB Jarek i dziekuje :)! Hahaha,asy sat tamtego dnia...no coz,typowe zaskoczenie...Wialo okolo 11-12m/s,nigdy wczesniej nie latalem acro przy takim wietrze.Duzo bardziej czuc predkosc i przeciazenia ;) ale radze sobie i to calkiem swietnie :). Poza tym to byl pierwszy lot dnia wiec i czucia braklo. Za tydzien lece do Öludenitz wiec przymierzam sie do pierwszego tumblingu.
Serdecznie pozdrawiam.

Thank you guys and best regards!

Hollywood's picture

Depending on how much experience you really have, I sugest you start from wing overs...
Cheers

JaroXS's picture

Hi Blazej,

I do it from normal spiral, but its probably better to start from asy.spiral. Just remember to pull the sat a little bit earlier at the first attempt, not at the lowest point under the wing. The tumbling will not be so high but smaller with more energy = safer for beginners.

Hope your exiting from the high asymmetric sat is now perfect ;-)

Regards,

Jarek

BlaMac's picture

Thank you for your tip deliriousAir:). Gonna start from asy spiral as you sugest.
Best regards.
Blaze

deliriousAir's picture

hi BlaMac,
starting to do tumbling is much more easy from asyspiral. its easier to get straight. but if you are experienced in doing loops or dynamic stalls from spiral it maybe no problem.

greets
domi