Wing over

I'm practicing wing overs. I think I don't have enough energy, I'm doing too high from the begining, the 3rd or the 4th turn is so high that I can't break the wing enough to hold it opened. Last time I've felt near the wing, I was about 60 degrees above it.
I weightshift after the highest point and pull the break hard on the lowest point. What can be my mistake? Maybe too much break input? Or not enough break on the outside?
I have a short film about my last action. I will put on youtube soon.
Thanx, Zoli

Latest Comments

pogozoli's picture

Thanks man for the advise! Sunday I made almost perfect, very huge wingovers without collapses. My problem was that I didn't released the brakes all the way up, and the timing of the brake was too late. Now I've started to feel the energy :).
Cheers, Zoli

paal's picture

zeroSIXzero
Of coarse, after the little kick on the brakes, fully release as soon as you have pressure to gain and keep speed for next wingover. Do not hold the brakes when the glider dives for speed. Only when your body is in the top of the pendulum.

It is very easy to keep a little brake during the hole wingover. Train and focus on letteing the brakes up ALL THE WAY each time you dive. You will be amazed on how much more speed you can get just bu letying go of the last 3cm of brake as well. But wait untill both body and glider dive together down.

If the glider dives without the pilot, NEVER just let it go. Brake until your body follows. This is on all acro manouvers exept tumble.

paal's picture

zeroSIXzero
Yes.
You are to late with the brake input when you start you next turn. In the video you can see that you use the brake when the speed is after max speed.

Wheigt shift before brake. That you do OK, but both weightshift and use of brake should be a little bit earlier. Timing of weightshift is almost perfect. Just a little adjustment. Timing of brake is a bigger adjustment.

Also, WHEN you feel that you will loose the pressure because the timing was wrong, brake deep on both sides and you will not get the defaltion.
Here you can see how deep you can pull in case of a low pressure wingover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GSEUl7oK_o

Giving a kick on both brakes on the top of each wingover will keep the pressure in the glider.

pogozoli's picture

Thanx man, I will try to keep my speed :). I just need some altitude... ;)

Benny's picture

I think you enter the next turn far too late and with too much brake input!
Try to keep your speed.

www.petlu.com