Problems with Morpheus 19m2

Hi guys!

3 months ago i decided to buy my first acro wing, a morpheus 19m2, and i´m still very happy with the glider, especially when doing dynamic tricks. But Last weekend when I went out for training i realized that there is a problems by practising deep stalls.

Several times i tryed the deep stall and found always a good entry without the need to stall the glider, but the problem was the transition back to normal flight. When i released the brakes completely in order to stop the deep stall, the glider slipped back became very unstable in the yaw axis. And there was also no tendency to move forward an start normal flying again.

This happend almost every time when i tried deep stalls on that weekend. Another guy which i met, told me the problem could be the trim of the dyneema lines. I think so too because of my own experience with this line material at our check office of the flight school i´m working fore. But the point is, that the glider has only about 60 flights on it. And i did no hardcore manouvers like tumbling or so.

Does anybody have such experiences with the morpheus too?

I would also like to know if there´s a kevlar line set available for the morpheus and if this solves the problems with the bad deep stall recovery.

Hope you can help me.

Latest Comments

mikesm08's picture

Hi Zebur~do they replace the lines?do you know anyone thats done it?
hey Daniel-> i have the 17.5, it has got stuck in parachutal//deep stall
also,,you have to push the A's to get out!
i think its just part of the morpheus design,its maybe not a bad thing,except when trying to twister
or exit helico quickly and it happens..
i had trimmers put on mine,maybe trim yours more aggresively~do you have trimmers on your risers?
also,give your C and D lines a good stretch,the lines shrink ,dont forget!
i think theres some deep stalls in this when i was practicing> http://www.vimeo.com/2151536

ZMercan's picture

Hi Daniel,

I`ve heard that the manufacturer will replace the dyneema lines with the kevlar ones for free !

Zebur

ZMercan's picture

If you open the trims just a little, it would help alot,

One of my gliders (not morph !) had similar problem, uppers were as bad as the lower ones and it wasn`t worth to change all the lines (too expencive) So opening some trim did the job perfectly !!

Anyway, look at the bright side !! when you are at slowest trim, your sink rate will be less than the factory setting now ;-)

Zebur

lolo68's picture

"brake" and not "break" sorry ...

lolo68's picture

Hi,

if you have a glider with such behaviour, difficult or even no recovery from deep stall, be careful doing back-wind take-off : when performing the normal ( forward-wind or no wind ) breaking sequence after pulling your glider up, it can be in parachutal mode, perfectly inflated, and when you go on to take-off ( "jump-off" on short and steep start places ) it will not fly ...
My glider had not much airtime but was 2-3 years old, what means contraction of all lines. Then a short phase with high A-lines stress , which extended only the A-lines back to their normal size : the glider became parachutal, too much incidence.
Another way do diagnostic such behaviour : when the glider was new, it did some sort of "dutch-rolling" when flying with released breaks, very sensitive at weight shifting. When it became parachutal it flew straight without rolling and was even relatively unsensitive to weight shifting.

A bientot
Laurent

agardilcic's picture

i agree totaly with you........
i will do some towing over water tomorrow...
i will check this matter again......i wil.try to keep a longer parachutal and se what happens...
i will keep you informed...

alfredo

Daniel's picture

Hi agardilcic,

i,m in line with you about how easy it is to do good deep stalls with that glider. I spent a lot of training about that on gliders fore beginners, because i do most of my training over ground. But in my opinion it is not acceptable, that you have to use special tricks (a risers) to recover deep stalls. Because if you get in trouble only a few meters over ground.

What i want from my glider is a defined reaction on break input. An if i release breaks 100 % i´m waiting for the glider to start flying again.

Anyway, i thought about what you said about the too slow release of the breaks after entering the deep stall. Hopefully I will be able to check this on weekend.

agardilcic's picture

daniel.
here is my experience.
i have a morpheus 21.
i am working very hard on my helicos,...and ofcourse i have to practice a lot of
parachutal......well, i think this is the best wing to do parachutal...very easy to get in...very estable....
BUT.....once i decided to do a longer parachutal....so i started the parachutal and released VERY SLOWLY (to keep a long parachutal)....i found that i had released 100% and the wing was still
in parachutal......so i pushed the A risers and the wing started to fly inmediately.

my conclutions about this:
-the wing is very estable in parachutal...which for me is good.
-i think this problem happens when you release TOO SLOW after you start parachutal.

i hope this helps..waiting for your comments
regards
alfredo....chile