supair acro base RR

hy,

i´m very interessted in the harness which you can see on rauls homepage.
you can see it in the video. it´s called RR acro base i think.

thanks and cheers

hannes

Latest Comments

ZMercan's picture

Hi ,

Looked in to Charlie quick outs recently but after a decent advice, I`ll stick to 3 ring system.
Less time consuming at least.

Now, I need to find a rig to pull apart ! Or do they sell three ring partst separately?

flowers's picture

hi,

i actaully use this cutawaycarabiners from charly - http://www.finsterwalder-charly.de/images/bauteile/hkar12.jpg - they really work well, at every different pressure from the riser to the carabiner
i use them in comination with the prodesign XS help rescue. its steerable, but no rogallo, for sure some pilots know. You don´t have to cut away the mainglider, but of course it´s better to do.
the gliding on the reserve is just about 1, but you are able to avoid flying into dangerous places.
http://www.pro-design.at/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=fly...

for me, next to a second normal rescue, this is the best solution at the moment.

cheers

hannes

ZMercan's picture

I`m also working on a cut away reserve idea,you dont need an aditional reserve though.

It`s basicly a front mounted (preferably) apex or rogallo reserve with one more internal pin sytem attached to the main canopy (very simple but effective)!

it can be used as a cut away style during cravates etc. when at altitude but it also can be pulled by hand as normal incase you are tangled with the glider (a simple internal pin gets free from the other attachment)

Reserve arangement is all sorted but l need alot of help with the carabiner cut away part, looking for something really simple which works reliably even with twisted risers.

audacium's picture

Hm. I was sceptical of the Profly system, and I remain sceptical with this system.

I believe a cutaway has its place in skydiving but not in paragliding with often low reserve openings. At low altitudes, the main priority in my eyes is to get as much fabric out as possible to brake the sink rate. I am not really convinced I want to separate myself at low altitudes from the glider (which still offers some braking) only to discover 20m above ground that for some reason the reserve does not open. Some disadvantages have already been mentioned, obviously the system will not work if you have fallen into the glider. Furthermore, I would like to see how the system reacts if one riser fails to release. If this happens at low altitude it might be too late to activate a secondary reserve.

I believe this system will demand a strict adherence to keeping altitude limits, that is, no acro manoeuvres below 150 m above ground for example. Then you can actually still think about which reserve to activate and activate a second reserve if necessary. Otherwise it adds too much complexity and might actually make rescue situations worse if you you do not detect that you have a hangup with some lines or whatever failure of the cutaway system.

And one more thing: Flying a base canopy at low altitudes and the resulting "high speed landing accuracy" demands its own training. No paragliding pilot should believe he can automatically safely fly a (probably quite small) base canopy without previous training.

It will be interesting to see how the first prototypes of this system work in practice. I wish Raul a low of success so that in the end we maybe really get a much better rescue system.

lupus78's picture

You have to practice cutawaying to have the movement in your hand in any emergency situation. You have to do this on the ground, hanged up! Then you will realise you have to grab it hard to pull out, and easier with two hands.

Falling into the canopy, or having lines around you is obviously makes this system unuseable!
But what happens if you are spinning/satting/spiraling down, and you cut away? Can it result a twisted or failed opening?

Lupus

marco's picture

Is it true that you have to release both handles before you deploy the reserve? What happens if you forget to release one handle? I think it could be very dangerous...

chavo's picture

Thanks for the help for the web site...idea looks very interesting...Paal's comment makes an interesting remark though...what if you are in a very bad situation and have lines around you?!
if there are more reserves wouldn't it make the whole harness too heavy? imagine: 1 parafoil, one parachute, one or two reserves...adding the protector and all it will be what...around 20kg...what do you think about this?

paal's picture

I like the idea, but there is for me a big problem.
I would guess that it is the released paraglider that actually pulls out the rescue. But what happenes if the you are in the paraglider after a bad tumble, og if the pilot got some lines from the paraglider around him/her. If the paraglider do not disapare over the pilot, there is nothing to pull out the rescue.

So you will still need a second rescue for those situations. But, as I said, I like the idea.

zeroSIXzero

chavo's picture

Hey whats Rauls homepage...couldn't find it...

PalTakats's picture

This is only one of the first prototype of the system, produced and developed by Sup'air in cooperation with Raul. Hopefully it will get into serial production very soon and raise the safety of our sport up to new levels. In believe it will be a must to have for all acro pilots. Of course there will be also normal rescue parachutes in the harness. The idea is actually not new at all, but up to now there was no other company than Profly providing such a solution.