morpheus 21

i need more data :)

Latest Comments

nepsa2007's picture

Hi Pal, Hi Gabor,

I have an aspen 20 freestyle and I now want to purchase a morpheus to practice rythmic sat, helis and more. I have tested size 19 m2 which I like but find too big.
My weight is just like yours between 85 and 90 kgs. Pal was posting he was flying the 17.5 m2 size.
Can you explain me what made you choose this size rather than the smaller 17 m2 ? What are the pros and cons between the 2 sizes.

Thanks.

PS : I love the color scheme of your wing and Gabor's in your Madeira film. You two just made great pictures. (By the way if you have time to answer, what is your video equipment ?)

Benny's picture

Hi Arno!

I'm this guy petlualex was talking about...
When you startweight is about 85kg you should definately take size 19!
I don't know how experienced you are at the moment but I had no problems shifting from Gin Bandit S to Morpheus 19.

If you want to climb up in thermals it shouldn't be a problem with that wing,too. I'm also able to climb up, although all petlu acro crew members are way too stupid for flying thermal. In addition my startweight is about 105-110kg.

And don't be scared of flying such a small wing, Alex and I did a tandemflight with the Ozone Mojo S (21m²) of my mother, that worked pretty good!

cheers big ears
www.petlu.com

arno0073's picture

Thanks for your advice!
How does a Mojo flight with 200kg under wing? Did you get the first bi/tumbling?
With my ratio of 4.5 kg per m under a morph in 19, I think I can’t compete with you two under your Mojo ☺ you’re to strong man!
With your advice I'm pretty sure to choose the morph but nevertheless I'm gonna try the Aerodyne free this week in St hilaire.
I hope I’m gonna see you two under your Mojo in France to do a small race: the first on the ground whatever the way used!

petlualex's picture

I think you should take the 19qm!a friend of mine came from an bandit S and took the 19!but he`s around 105-110 kg at takeoff and he had no problems with the change I think!at least he didn`t tell me so:P

arno0073's picture

Thanks for the details.
I’ve already tried both wings at the end of the last summer but the weather conditions were completely different. I’ve tried the A2F in f*****g s**t condition, it looked liked an airplane drop and I’ve had the same feelings than U, the wing was a bit too light, but easy to handle. I didn’t have the feeling of an acro wing but she had a lot of speed and energy.
When I tried the Morph the conditions were pretty good. It grab me to the clouds in one minutes and get me to the ground in 30 sec. I’ve had the feeling of a quite “heavy” wing but it’s a something I always feel when I’m trying a wing from Germany☺ (they’re may be reserved for strong man and not for skinny French boy!), but the energy of the wing was amazing.
I’ve another question, my weight at the take of is 85kg, and I was interested in a 20m wing, so I don’t really what’s the better for me between a morph in 19 and the 21? I haven’t place any order yet and I would like to have advice about it.

petlualex's picture

thank ya for the answer gabor!

hi arno!I tried the aspen freestyle 20 and had some flights with the morpheus 19 of benny!I can say that i liked the morpheus much more than the aspen!as I can remember the aspen had not that much pressure in the canopy!it was more feeling like my octane or sth like that!the dynamic of the aspen was high,too!but with morpheus I felt like the wing had been told to do loops and wingovers!so you almost don`t need to do anything and you feel like the wing knows itself what to do!also with aspen 2 you need much more weightshift.
but I just had one flight with the aspen and I perhaps don`t know yet where it`s advantages compared to morpheus are!so try the aspen,too!!!!!!!!
cya

arno0073's picture

Hi everyone,
It's Arno from France
I’m looking for a new glider for the next season and I’m hesitating a lot between three gliders:
1: Morpheus in 21
2: The Aspen 2 freestyle in 20
3: and the new aerodyne glider, the free (it’s a dune modifying during the last winter following the same production way of the A2F) in 19
Does anyone try the first two gliders? What’s your opinion about these? What are their advantages of the two wings and their defects?

See U a-in the air

Ps; Pàl and Gabor, are you going to Acrolac this year?

monkbaaz's picture

Hey Gabor, thanks a lot for your suggestions
So I will just follow on with my order
I just can't wait to get to fly the morph :) :D

gaborkezi's picture

I think the helico maneuver does not depend so much on the weight but more on the control. If you are heavier the rotation can be faster but you give the same commands to the glider.

Colin: first of all I would not suggest you to change your orders. I think the 21 size is very nice for for progressing in acro just you need to fly the helico in a different way. For some pilots it can be easier for some more difficult. I suggest you to take this as a challange: if you learn the helico with this glider it will be no problem for you with any other wings and sizes as well.

Gabor

petlualex's picture

hi gabor!
I`m going to get a morph 21 in a few weeks,too!do you think you need to fly the heli with the 21 like this in general or do you think it depends on your weight?I will have about 110 kg for takeoff
thanks a lot,alex

monkbaaz's picture

hi Gabor, this is Colin from Romania.
Hey this is really getting to me
it's like I've just ordered (and payed half in advance) a morpheus 21.
I have had a talk with Pal a few month ago, concernig thermalling, acro and my weight (naked) of 65 kg.
At that moment the best compromise seemed 2 be the morph 21.
I must rely on thermalling to gain the height 2 do Acro !!! (in Romania we don't have any other mean of transportation to a reasonable altitude :)) !
So, please, advise me.
What should I do?
Should I keep the order for the 21?
Or should I make a fast swich to 19? I guess I have a few days to change my order as the glider has not been shipped to Romania yet.
I really wanna do hellies and tumblings and even Rythmic with the new glider, so...
What should I do?

PS: the Madeira video... well... thermic helico rodeo... amaising!

asanz's picture

Hi Guys:
could you explain how you start it?
I do the following thing: Brake the wing until almost stall, but before stall and the wing goes behind, I release the two breaks until above, and return to pull both breaks until a point where stall does not enter and it remains in deep stall (I do not arrive at the carabiners), then I release the break of the positive side and I leave the other break where it is. The turn begins, I put my weightshift to the positive side, and release little by little the negative side. This is the theory… then the important thing is to find the suitable speed in the movements and where I have to break exactly.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn´t. With my morpheus never works yet, with my mustang it works several times.
Thanks for your help.
Alejandro

gaborkezi's picture

Hi guys,

I just had the chance to fly with a Morpheus 21 yesterday. My friend asked me to try it because he had some difficulties with the helico. When I tried it I had to realize that it needs different contolling compared to my 18 m2. We have to understand that every different size of the gliders can have different flying characertistics.

My experiences with the Morpheus 21: for a nice helico you have to keep the pressure in the glider!
1) after stalling the glider you have to start the helico with going completely to the positive side with your weightshift.
2) after this you should release on the break on the negative side (more than you expect: finally I was just pulling 2-3 cm-s otherwise was tip was flapping)
3) you start to pull gently the other break (on the positive side). The helico gets stabil when you are already pulling more on the positive side than on the negative.

There are some other gliders also which do the helico the same way... I know it sounds strange but for me it worked out.

Happy training :)
Gabor Kezi

asanz's picture

Hi Pal
thank you very much by the fast answer
Best regards

PalTakats's picture

Hi Alejandro!

There is only one BIG secret: training...training...training... :-))
Of course the Morpheus is much more agressive than your Mustang was, you have to get used to this - welcome to the world of acro gliders: dynamic figures are much easier, but stall maneuvers gets more difficult...

You have to use the trimmers all the way closed! I don't know about the speed range, but with closed trimmers my 17m2 has about 41-43 km/h (just guess), when you open it goes up to ~50 I guess and become very sensitive and agressive (same like if you fly all the time with speedbar).

The trimmer is only for 2 reasons:
- make it easier for you to take-off in strong winds (personally I never use speed system with my wing)
- with the time every glider looses some performance (not only acro wings) because the lines and also the material is streching. If you feel loss of speed, you can just open the trimmer 0.5-1 cm. Of course if the lines are very used, you should go for a complete new line set before you brake it in the air!

Hope you got the answers for your questions.
Pál

asanz's picture

Hi Guys
First to apologise my bad English. I am using the SYSTRAN of Internet.
Congratulations by the last fabulous video. More videos please!
I have one morpheus 21 for a short time and have some doubts. First it is why it has trimmers. It is used when the wind is very strong? What speed has the wing with trimmers and without trimmers?
I like morpheus, It´s stable and dynamic in flight. I have it a problem when I have tried to make helicopters. It´s very aggressive… riser twisting and cravattes are very usual. The other day I fell more than 300 meters trying to remove a big cravatte… with my other wing (airwave mustang), I could make this maneuver almost always.
I have seen another videos with the morpheus and the helicopters were not very stable… but when I have saw your video, already I know that the problem is mine… because your helicopters are magnificent… which is the trick with this wind?
thank you very much
asanz@vanaga.com

monkbaaz's picture

Thanks a lot Pal,
By the beginning of the spring I'm gonna buy myself a Morpheus 21.
And of course I'm gonna keep the Cidan, I've just ordered a new set of lines for it (I guess I stretched'em up a little practicing varios manoevres :)).
Just as you said I can get to go flying with 2 wings, and choose which i will fly according to the conditions. And just as Pogozoli wants to purchase the same glider, the Morpheus 21 :) as he is 'gettin' into the acro addiction zone', we can share the Cidan when we go fly together, as he still loves XC and doesn't like to compromise...:)
As for me, I wanna focus on freestyle acro, I love to thermal arround the mountains, but I never get to fly XC cause I just can't spend 100m 4 anything else than G-s. Man I got so addicted! :)). I just keep going as high as I can, then practice acro over a forest or something, then catch up with the thermal again. Up and down all day, nothing better in the whole world :D:D:D:D.
So thanks again 4 the advice,now I am so sure of wnat I gotta do.
And see you arround, I'm planning to come to other festivals in 2008, as many as I can afford:D
All you guys are so great and I love 2 fly arround with you.
So good luck with the competitions, leading our Acro future!

Yours, Colin

PalTakats's picture

Hi Colin!
Nice to see you here!
I think the 21m2 is a very good compromise to fly thermals and acro. It is small enough to do Tumblings and even learn Rythmic SAT, but still big enough to catch up with others in climbing. If course, it won't be the same like your Cidan 24. I can imagine your flying conditions in Romania, but it should be still much better than what we have here in Hungary :-) Anyway, the best you can do is to keep your comp wing if you can, so you can fly XC and cruise around in week conditions.

Check this surface loading table on Morpheus for more info. It shows that if you fly the 21 on 80kg startweight, you will have 3,81 kg/m2 wingload. Currently I'm flying the 17.5 m2 and on a starweight of 85-90 kg which means a wingload over 5 kg/m2! Still, I'm able to climb with it if the conditions are a bit stronger, like what we had in Ölüdeniz for a few days - that was really easy.
Here are the technical datas, but it does not give you information about gliding ratio. You cannot find significant difference when gliding straight with other gliders - the ratio is almost the same (it does not change with the wing load, only the speed!). But of course due to the higher wingload on the smaller gliders you sink more while turning, but this you can compensate with effective outside braking, that you don't let the glider accelerating into the curve.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate!
See you!
Pál

monkbaaz's picture

Hi there Pal, Gabor & everybody!
My name is Colin, from Romania, some of you guys may know me :)
I weigh 65kg and currently I am flying a Cidan-icaro 24.3 sm, which, "is not a good wing for Acro :)" - definetly not enough dynamic.
I wanna buy a MORPHEUS 21. BUT:
The geography and flight conditions in my country force me to rely ONLY on THERMALLING to gain the height I need to train and perform Acro.
What can you advice me? Can I thermal decently with this size glider? Is it too big to do Acro nicely?
Can I get a sink-rate diagram or a polar anywhere?
It would be really great if You could advice me:).
Thank you guys,and - keep up the best work, Just Acro RULEZ.