Epsilon 7 slightly overloaded to start learning acro ?

Hi all,

I am wondering whether an Epsilon 7 in 26 sqm, 5 kg into the extended weight range, would be a reasonable choice to start learning acro AND for thermal flights and small XC flights in various conditions. I have found one second-hand wing in good condition and within my budget that I should be able to test for a few flights before buying.

Recommended weight range for this size : 75-95 kg,
Extended weight range (also EN-B) : 95-110 kg

I would fly it at around 98-100 kg, and up to 105 once I get an acro harness with 2 reserves.

I am currently flying an Alpha 6 in 28 sqm, at only 70% of the weight range. I practice stalls and backfly, wing-overs, 360 asym and SATs. I am starting to feel somewhat limited by the long brake travel, and moderate energy for wing overs.

I have been told that this would not be a very good choice of all-rounder wing because flying the wing at ~125% of the recommended weight range I would be frustrated by the increased sink rate when flying in weak thermal conditions,. What I am wondering is how significant the difference will be, for example with respect to the same wing flown at 75-80% of the weight range. I rarely go for soaring flights and avoid strong wind conditions so a high trim speed is not a key feature for me.

I would also be interested in feedback from people who have flown this particular wing :
- is it generally forgiving for an EN-B ?
- are backfly and stall exits easy or tricky ?
- nice SATs and related tricks (asymmetric, rythmic SATs...) ?
- a friendly wing for learning heli ?

Thanks for you advice
Simon

Latest Comments

idgh1023's picture

I am also using factory break settings with one wrap but it does take a little long to spin/ stall, I’ve noticed when trying a heli landing that I wasn’t able to stall one side of the wing quick enough so I am considering shortening the breaks

idgh1023's picture

I recently got the epsilon 9 22

I am 89kg exit weight with both reserves, harness, etc. really nice for ridge soaring. Hard for me to stay up and thermal unless the day is really strong.

Backfly is easy to enter and clean, SATs and spins nice as well. I am just starting so I haven’t done anything other than wingovers, spirals, and what’s mentioned above.

DnrebLegeov's picture

if conditions are weak, yes; if conditions are average or better, it's fine;)

simbow's picture

Thanks for the feedback. Does it really fall hard at this load ?

DnrebLegeov's picture

Hello, I am flying a 26 with 105kg; its not a SAT-machine, but great for helis, mistys; backfly and stall are also fine; i think its a great wing