What kind of cam-equipment

Hi peeps,
what kind of cam-equipment are you using currently? I'm thinking about switching from Gopro Hero 2 to a newer model. What are your suggestions and what are the pro/contras of the material you are using now?

MERCI

Latest Comments

qiv's picture

Hi,

while systemcameras (also called electronic viewfinder interchangable lens EVIL) are smaller and lighter than other cameras (like digital single-lens-reflex or DSLR cameras), but they are still a lot too have to keep on your helmet or foot while performing difficult maneuvers, so I would assume they use a dedicated filming person and you do not really need a water proof housing. Anyways, as you have only electronic viewfinder for filming they are technically the same as other cameras. However they are usually designed with hybrid (i.e. still and moving pictures) in mind and often come with tiltable screens, that is quite important for making paragliding movies in my experience.

I personally use the Olympus OM-D E-M5 systemcamera, which has a smaller sensor than the NEXs. In the case of paragliding this is more of an advantage, keeping focus is easier and you need long lenses to zoom close, which are smaller for smaller sensors. Besides this camera has one of the best image stabilizer to date, which is important with the very long lenses, even on a tripod (at least mine, which is decent but not extreme).

Here out of camera from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw2aA33gp5o

Cheers :-)

PalTakats's picture

No experience at all with the other brands...sorry mate.

Airobic's picture

thx pal for your fast answer,
do you also have experience with system-cams like sony nex...; some dudes of mine are working for pressurized and use them for base-vids, they are very enthused by starting to film with this material, but the prob is, that i don't think that a waterproof cover is available.

PalTakats's picture

Hi Airobic,

I've been using gopros from their very first SD versions. Just recently switched from the Hero2 to the Hero3 (normal, not the + version). I must say that the quality from 2 to 3 made a huge improvement, no comparison! I hear that the battery life of the Hero3+ is a lot better (yes the Hero3 does not have a very long battery life), but otherwise I see no big quality improvement except from shooting in low light conditions and maybe somewhat higher frame-rates.

Cheers
Pal