Air G Sophie ²

Any feedback about that wing?

Latest Comments

Adam A's picture

I fly the Sophie and an Airdesign Volt and generally on the coast. One of my local sights has the launch about a 200m glide from the cliff were we fly and the Sophie struggles to make the glide back to top land on light days where the Volt does it easily and both are 25sqm.
As Mathias said, it is a re-tuned Emily and an awesome free style wing but I wouldn't buy one if it's your every day flyer and your after glide performance. I'm also not sure if the Sophie 2 is still in production anyway, the Sophie High is on the website now. There was talk of getting it certified at some point so there are performance changes required for it to pass that I think will make the wing a little more suitable to you so I'd have a look at it and they have also made it a little lighter in construction.

Adam.

laurentgedm's picture

Thanks for 5 cents ;-)
Much appreciated.

Kimsmile's picture

The Sophie is based on the Emilie but with the main loading on the A- & B-Risers (Sophie) instead of the B- & C-Risers (Emilie). The Sophie has also a little more ratio (6 instead of 5.8) and a safer trim, of course. In my opinion, the Sophie is a dynamic but forgiving freestyler, just like it should be.

Regarding glide: Compared to a similarly loaded Freestyle 2, my Sophie could not compete. I would say the Freestyle 2 is the best combination for Freestyle and Thermalling, but the Sophie is a better basis to step up to acro wings.

just my 5 cents

fendrix's picture

This would be interesting for me too.

laurentgedm's picture

Hi guys,
could anybody compare the Sophie² to other freestyle gliders (freestyle2, f-gravity2) in terms of thermalling and glide performance?

ARGZ's picture

Hello everyone

Today was the day I've flown the Sophie. But i gonna tell you the same as Jan did. It is a cool wing quite fast i like that. The start was a bit tricky but not a big problem i had an annoying cravatt but it was always easy to get that out. I think as well it is more like an acro glider then a freestyler. This wing is too tricky for my I didn't really felt comfortable.
I think it is a great wing for Pilots which are bored with there freestyler and want to continuo to a higher level but not an acro wing.

Greez
Alex

ARGZ's picture

Hi Jan

Ja genau hab in von dir bekommen ;). Sit en becho han lit er aber leider nume bi mir ume hoffe dasi morn ad Ebenalp chan de hetti au no schön höchi zum chli was mache =).

Nimmt mich wunder wie er sich so fliegt. Wie gleitet die Sophie eigentlich so? Ist das Gleiten besser oder schlechder wie beim Ocatan 2?

Gruess
Alex

tjan's picture

Hi,

As I had the chance to fly it recently, I believe I sent it to you Alex, after I flew it.

For me it is definitely too much like an acro wing and as the airg team told me it's the last stage between freestyle and acro so it is very tough built. Overall I liked flying the wing, a bit high break pressure, but thats ok. I did not like the starting behavior thought, as I had to start in wind of almost 20kmh, it was hard to start the glider without a cravatt and if there was one, it was really difficult to get it out, also the glider really pulls you when it comes up. On the same day I had the chance to fly the Octane 2 and it felt much safer and overall easier. I guess it depends what you're looking for, as I am just starting to do some acro I want a wing which is not too aggressive and most of all safe.

They also told me that the main difference between the Sophie 2 and the new High is the use of a lighter fabric and its easier build (don't really know what that means exactly).

I learned, freestyle wings are not directly comparable to each other ^_^ it really depends on what it was desinged for.

Jan

Adam A's picture

I've bought a 25, just waiting for it to arrive. I was surprised as well when I first saw one in the flesh. Built tough. I'm assuming it's pretty much built like an Emily.

ARGZ's picture

Hey Adam

It is a 23 sqm Sophie 2. It looks pretty bad ass with all the rods and nets at he entering edge.

Alex

Adam A's picture

ARGZ, did they send you a 25 or a 23Sqm. Thanks.

Adam.

ARGZ's picture

Hey again

i was able to fly the instinct bevore about 3 weeks. It was pretty nice feelt very conftable. But i am coming from a low level B so i can imagine that the Wing is getting boring pretty soon. The Sophie arrived 2 weeks ago but i wasnt able to fly because of the bad weather during the last couple of weeks. I hope i ll be able to fly the Sophie this Weekend.

Greez
Alex

Hugues's picture

Hey Alex!
Ok, the instinct has 5 risers, it's a bit too much for me, but it's a good freestyle wing for beginner.
Don't forget to speak about your first impressions as soon as you try the sophie :))
Best
Hugues

ARGZ's picture

Hey Hugues

No i am sory. I am still waiting for the glider to arrive at my home =). At the moment I am also waiting for an answer from Icaro if they can send me the Instinct acro 2.

Greez
Alex

Kimsmile's picture

I bought my Sophie second hand. So no idea about the new price. Just ask the Air'G-People!

Hugues's picture

Any news Alex? Did you reveive it?

Adam A's picture

Hi Mathias,
I flew a Sophie 2 today but it was fitted with standard toggles. How do you find the acro toggles. Do your arms get sore. Cheers. I've posed this in Paragliding forum as well so don't bother answering both posts. :)

Hugues's picture

Thanks for your feedbacks Mathias:)) the Sophie ² is a freestyle wing, whereas, the emilie is a real acro wing. The emilie has much more energy, goals are not the same and it's not the kind of wing you choose just after a SIV course. You can't do infinit, anti rithmic and so on with the Sophie, from what I heard it's an EN C wing. What is the priceof the Sophie ² by the way?
Best

Kimsmile's picture

I love my Sophie 2! Moved from an EN-B Wing after my first SIV and never regret the decision. Did another SIV with the Sophie and managed my first SAT. Now, I'm improving on my Fullstalls, SATs and Wingovers and try to improve from there.

I don't really know about the differences between the 22 Emilie and the 23 Sophie, but who cares. I never had a really scary moment under the Sophie. There is plenty of energy (total weight just above 100Kg) and predictable behaviour.

Cheers,

Mathias

Hugues's picture

Great!! I'm eager to hear from you!

ARGZ's picture

hi Hugues

i have talked to Airg and they send me a testwing =) bit i am not that sure if it will be the Sophie high or the Sophie 2
(im am looking forward)
I will give you a feedback as soon as i flew the wing

Greez
Alex