Low flying acro

Hey Guys and Gals

I am towing over water on an Acro3 harness and Octane FLX2 22m wing. I have thus far deployed my Gin OneG reserve #38m which has a sink of 4.3m per second with a max loading of 100kg (my inflight load is 85kg). Both times I hit the water, I think I would have broken some bones.

I train over the water for 2-3 months of the year on weekends and then train only 300m agl (above ground level) for another 6-8 months of the year.

My question is - should I consider a rogallo or cut-a-way system for the above GROUND TRAINING considering I will only ever be 100-200 metres above the ground when I need to deploy the rescue/reserve?

Thanks in advance

TB

Latest Comments

yamadav's picture

at 100m your rescue wil probably not have time to open (only the BASE systeme opens in 40 meters) so at this heght the best way to stay alive is the tailsilde. You have a big wing with low take off weight, so you should not have really a big sink rate in tailslide (maybe around -5m/s in stable air). If acro shits low, a good tailslide=survival. I did'nt say that it would save your legs or back, especially if you fall on a flat land. if you fall in trees its better for your health.

butto's picture

Thanks for the reply - I agree safety is paramount. Finishing tricks 100-200m above ground would be the worse case scenario which is why I am keen to establish what the most effective rescue system would be in this case? What is your rescue system set-up? Roughly what height are you starting and finishing your various tricks from? What does your local training ground provide in terms of height difference from ground? Many thanks.

derschoeneledge's picture

Just depends if you still want to be alive after an incident...
Height is safety, an acro harness is also safety. To pass on both is just stupid.
I would also not rely on the Rogallo/One-G to be open 100% after 100m

Save flights :)