Wing loading vs Wing Reaction

In our sport the shorthand is to use wing loading to equalize across different pilot/wing sizes. So, a 113kg AUW pilot on a 24m wing can expect roughly the same behavior as a 80kg AUW pilot on a 17m wing. They both have a wing loading of 4.7.

My question for you guys that exist in a community of pilots is, "What are the differences?"

I'd guess the smaller wing/pilot has an easier time getting his wing moving for something like a misty flip. Maybe the bigger pilot find the wing's mass gives him more time to catch a surge? I'm guessing though.

Is there a consensus on how the experience differs even when the wing loadings are the same?

Latest Comments

Open.Cockpit.Media's picture

You should bump this post again with an ad for cum pills ;)

Yarich's picture

Hi,

"o, a 113kg AUW pilot on a 24m wing can expect roughly the same behavior as a 80kg AUW pilot on a 17m wing. They both have a wing loading of 4.7."

Not att all. It will be completely different handling. I used to think the same 5 years ago. Thus I was training on emlie wild airg 20 freeflying and then jumped to emilie wild 22 with paramotor. Wingloading was exactly the same and I expected, that behaviour would be too.
However, the practical findings were:
-Completely different handling due to different brake length, mass of the wing, etc.
-22 was slower in tricks than 20 with the same wingloading.
-22 shot much violently than 20, and managing those shots was a bit more challenging.
-22 was more inertious
-Twist tendency (due to paramotor + weight) was higher.
-It felt like completely different wing
Conclusion I've made - you have to freefly the same wing you plan for your paramotor acro (with the wingloading suitable for paramotor). Differences with paramotor in this case are: higher twist tendency, stronger shots, a little bit faster speed in tricks (specially in heli and transitions). But it's easier to get used to it.

Thinking about the weight of the pilot I have the following thoughts:
-Lighter pilot has less tendency to twists when he mistakes, however this is matter of proper training and personal abilities. It might be advantage only in the begining of learning acro.
-Lighter pilot can downsize a bit earlier than heavy pilot. Smaller wings performs better, transitions to me are easier on smaller wings (the one you already learned on big wing, learning transitions on smaller wing is more difficult).
-Lighter pilot has to move to 16m sizes or even less with experience for speed and good looking transitions, while heavy pilot can stay on 17-18m (i'm talking about pilots over 85 kg naked weight). Smaller wing has shorter brake travel which adds new challenges. Smaller wing generally flyes worse than bigger wing with same loading(thermaling, glide)

I stopped with blackout 18+ at the moment with my naked weight 90-98kg naked (my weight flactuating a lot)

WoodysGamertag's picture

Bumping in hopes of a response, picture for attention. :)