free style glider for a little girl ptv 55kg, naked 42kg

Hello,

I need help and advices to continue my progression with a free-style glider.
I am 1.50 m and my weight is 42kg, I practise sat, wing-over, fullstall and I work for helico with a Hook2, 21m2.
I have tried FreeWay 19;5 but I find that it is a quite too big glider for me, anyway it is a very safe glider, I really hesitate because I had good sensation with it.

What about minus glider like Apus ou Susi or Awak for freestyle ?

What about Icaro Wildcat 18 ?

May you suggest me others safe freestyle or accro gliders corresponding to my weight and my level.

Many thanks in advance,
Cocci

Latest Comments

Cocci's picture

Many thanks Ste for your very precise message.
I will try Apus 17 very soon.
Maybe I will try Zeta 21 but I think it is too big for me ...
Have great pleasure in the sky
Cocci

ste's picture

Hi Delphine,

I had the same problem one year ago :) My naked weight is 52kg, I had a Sky Atis Freestyle 21 and was flying the same maneuvers as you do now, but I then found it pretty annoying to practise deep stalls with this glider because of the long brake travel and the unprecise feedback. I then switched to an Emilie 19 (2011 model) - I was very nervous before the first full stall, but to my surprise, it felt _much_ better than with the Atis - much more precise and controlled, and I didn't have any problems with the increased dynamics (not even frontal collapses ;)). After about 25 flights, I tried a 17 (2011 model, too) and it even felt better than the 19, still not too dynamic, but more fun to fly.

After 70+ hours of flying (Iquique ;)) with the 17 without any trouble, I recently switched to an Emilie Wild13 17 because the old one became somehow "flabby" and hard to launch. Now this one feels _much_ more dynamic than the 2011 model (never tried a '12), and I am now just repeating the basics with it, but it already feels very good.

But I have to say that I always practise above a lake; if I had to fly over ground, I think I would still fly the 19. And in addition, flying the 19 first sure helped me a lot! I am not sure whether I would have been able to switch to the 17 directly without any incidents, and of course, I just would have been too afraid of it I guess. And I - my personal opinion - would not recommend you to switch to a small Wild13 directly, because to me it really is more demanding to fly than the '11 model.

Anyway, since I weigh 10kg more than you, I think 20 is too big for you... But I am no expert, I can only say what worked for me. I would suggest to try an Emilie '11 or '12 in 17 or 18 (or 19, depending on where you fly), or maybe a Buzzard 17 (never tried it, but heard that it is also not that aggressive). Maybe you find an used one in the market, to do your first steps; if you then feel confident, you can switch to a smaller or more dynamic one.

Regarding Susi: No! :) This glider is very pitch stable and has long brake travel, it is absolutely not suited for acro. I don't know much about the Apus, but it still is a "normal" glider, just small - since you are practising helico, I would go for a real acro glider, it's just way more precise.

Cheers, Ste

Cocci's picture

Many thanks for your answer.
I am in contact with Marc, Icaro france, He will contact you soon for me about Nikita. Because I think that I am not ready mentaly and technically to fly a pure accro wing. Actually, I Have a Nivuik Hook2, 21 !!!.

WildCat 18 exists but it is not a freestyle glider Marc said to me this morning. It seems difficult in Sat said conceptor's wife.
Thanks a lot for your a mail, I think about all the informations I have,
Have a nice day,
Delphine

theo's picture

Hi :)

I am sorry but the WildCat TE 18 does not exists I think, you may misunderstood with projected area of the XS WildCat wich is 18,5

For your weight and level you should really think about a freestyle glider in 20 sqm or an acro glider in 20sqm also may be good. If you want to try a NIKITA3-19,5 in France just send me an e-mail : theodeblic@hotmail.fr and I may be able to help you.

Cheers,
Théo

Cocci's picture

I am seriously regarding for Icaro WildCat TE 18 to have a safe and fun glider. Have you a comment ?
Many thanks for thriller 16, I will see that.
Cocci

kevinr6's picture

What about a Thriller 16 ??