Hello & D-Bag queries from a newcomer to the forum

Hi Everybody,

I guess I am the last arrived in this forum, which look really interesting and cool. I am not an Acro pilot, although I really enjoying seeing you boys, but I am really your 'average paraglider pilot' . I live in a pretty flat place (only a small ridge available with Northerly wind) and while my paramotor friends fly all the weekends I am pretty much earthbound most of the time for my refusal to go 'noisy'.

I am now seriously considering the possibility to use a D-bag and jump from a paramotor trike. This idea is really taking over. I know that most of the people that use d-bag does so for perfoming acro afterward, while my intention would be just to get a ride up, and have a pleasant, uneventful, landscape enjoying flight.

I have read all I could on this forum, watched plenty of videos, but really I do not have acquired enough information, so I would like to ask to anybody here that can help me:
- Do you really have to be a super experienced paraglider to D-Bag?
- can a normal EN2 wing be used and folded in the JustAcro D-Bag (I believe so..but)...
- what is the position of the brakes during the jump (clipped, in hand, etc..)
- is it possible to get some detailed instruction/information about d-bag jumping and if so where?
- what are the risks involved (kind of possible malfunctions etc...)
- what is the best advisable altitude to jump from?

Thanks for your help,

Blue Skies,
Sandro

Latest Comments

Sandro 'Zeb''s picture

Thanks Paal,

That is what i will do. I have seen an interesting program (SIV & DBAG clinic in Spain, suggested by another pilot in this forum, and I will give it a try.

Cheers

paal's picture

The problem will not be the dbagging itself. But WHEN you have a bad opening, you will have cravats.
This is not a IF, but a WHEN.
So no one should do dbag if they are not 100% sure on fullstalls to fix cravats. Train minimum 20-30 fullstalls with quick exit. That means out from the fullstall almost the same time as you go in. This is the cravat fix.

To fix a cravat, it is not holding the stall that fix it, but the enter of the stall. So if the first entry of the stall did not fix the problem, quickly stall it again and again. Keeping a loong stall do nothing. 3 quick stalls do everything.

Go to a dbag clinic the first times.

Have fun.

Sandro 'Zeb''s picture

Hi Blue Floy,

Yes I did, and I think he could not have done a better job explaining the packing through a video. My doubt in fact would be more on how to secure the d-bag to the flying platform such as (in my case) a paramotor trike and advice on the jump position (roll over, sit down, hands in the brake, face up etc....).

Thanks

I need to

Sandro 'Zeb''s picture

Ehy Guys,

Thanks to all of you for the answers. They were all helpful, and despite my urge to try I will give it another wee bit of time... at least until I will be able to receive instruction in person by someone who does it regularly.

Cheers,

Sandro

laurentgedm's picture

You definitely have to master full stalls, with confidence, over ground. And be prepared to open your rescue(s) if anything goes really (or really really) wrong. There is always a part of uncertainty with d-bag pack jobs...

qiv's picture

Hi Sandro,

in my experience a D-Bag from a hot-air-balloon is the safest and easiest way to take-off -- if it is packed well. Usually EN-B gliders do not have that much cells and thus fabric, so they should fit. All openings of freestyle and non-acro gliders I have see did not need any pilot input at all; but I prefer to hold the handles like in normal flight. To jump you just have to pull both D-Bag-handles at the same time to launch symmetrically (but I have seen people pull one after the other without incident). The risks include about everything; I have seen asymmetric openings, collapses and even serious cravates when the packjob was bad or down-wash from helicopters involved -- thus you should jump as high as possible.

Enjoy,
Geri

supercamborio's picture

Hello. There are in Spain some people that they have preparared the second clinic d-bag. Marvin Ogger is helping them.
Next clininc is on January 24, 25 & 26
WEB LINK: http://www.dbagjump.com/