How far can I progress with my low-B glider?

I'm learning on my low-B cross country glider and trying to get as far as possible before stepping up to a freestyle or entry level acro wing. I'm getting better at helicos right now and would like to start with misty/mactwist and heli connections in the not too distant future. I was pleasantly surprised to learn on Pál's podcast with Gavin that an Ozone Rush is capable of asymmetric SAT, and he seemed to suggest that the only tricks that require a more energetic wing are the rhythmic SAT and infinity (and of course new school tricks). Does that mean it may be possible to learn tumbling on my glider, or will I need to step up before that?

Latest Comments

justACRO's picture

For sure, yes!
The Rush 4 and now 5 have an incredible gliding performance for cross country & normal flying and you can do nice helicopters, connections and even classic tumbling with it. For me these type of gliders are the real all-rounder freestyle wings.

WoodysGamertag's picture

Pal,

I bought your Master Acro series and you had a lot of good things to say about the Rush 4. Would you suggest it for learning acro as much as you suggest the Rush 4? Do you have enough time on it to say yes or no yet?

justACRO's picture

When talking about tumbling people incorrectly interpret it as 'infinite tumbling'. Tumbling is one thing and Infinity is another. I am really sure that most serial gliders which have the capability to SAT can also support classic (old-school) Tumblings with 135 degree and more. Of course they do not have the dynamics to do Rhythmic or Infinity. I personally learned the following maneuvers with a serial glider: Asymmetric SAT, Tumbling, SAT to Helico, Helico to SAT, Heli to Heli, Mactwist, Mactwist to Heli...Of course you could step up to a freestyle wing before that, but I'd still highly recommend to learn to control and correct Helicopters before that. It is a bit more tricky with a serial wing, but really much slower and safer. I already did nice SAT to Helico and Heli to Heli with my new Rush 5. Will keep exploring its potential more in the future and share the videos ;)
Cheers
Pal

Alien's picture

I´m learning on my low-B Ion 3, and I think it can go pretty far, although for the record, it doesn´t SAT very well. But I don´t think I´d try to tumble on it...

SimonStone's picture

Hmm, rhythmic SATs are possible with a Gin Yeti 4 - super light weight A glider. Only up to a certain angle, of course. But I wouldn't recommend, because the material will suffer. Normal SATs are simple as pie with it. I guess, it really depends completely on the glider - and really not on the A/B/C rating. Ozone Octane 2 / 22 is mostly an A glider, except a few B/C ratings in specific areas. Any yet, it's an entry level acro wing advertised for tumbling.

Fabian's picture

Depending on the glider, that might work. On my mid EN-B (Niviuk Hook 3), SATs were very difficult (needed double wrap and the outside was almost always deflated) so it was close to impossible to do a asysat on that glider, but I know from other pilots on low EN-Bs (Skywalk Ariba) that it works fine

KrisH's picture

What about asymmetric/dynamic sat, assuming that I enter and exit the SAT early to keep plenty of energy and not so high?

Fabian's picture

Unless you are comfortable falling into your wing, tumbling is not a good idea on a low-B. All other basic tricks (sat, heli, sat to heli, wingovers, misty, mactwist, (dynamic) full stall, ...) should be possible. On a freestyle wing, it might be easier though (example: no need to wrap for sat)
Keep in mind that even on a freestyle wing, you probably won't be able to do high rhythmic sats and tumblings, you would need an acro wing for that....