Rhythmic SAT Advise Requested

I made a video to get a little feedback about Rhythmic SATs from the group here. I'd say the first two in this video represent my current status in the progression. The second two were me changing the timing to try something different and are just an embarrassing mess.

What are you seeing? Why don't my rhythmic SATs build like Theo's do? :)

https://youtu.be/VaahMSlbzls

Latest Comments

dalechamberlain's picture

On your first attempts you say let it dive, wait then pull it. It needs to be let it dive then instantly, sooner the better (only until it gets bigger) pull brake. Pull and fast release not hold for a half second like your doing.
And dont enter from a high angle sat. Not more than 45deg.
Im no expert but i can do it and you are doing what i used to do. Try to Brake asap and dont hold the brake. You will learn some stuff then dont brake asap once you get more angle

vvi1g12's picture

Sorry premature sending :D So to continue - had one similar to yours (first attempt) and then I tried taking more energy before going for it. And as soon as I pull the SAT I let it dive - if you keep it even for 1 turn you will lose the energy.
When it dives wait to feel the wing starting to slow down and pull it back to SAT. Then repeat. It is all about making every consecutive dive stronger. Stop trying to build constant rhythm - there is no rhythm in the rhythmic SAT my instructor says.
I am no expert or anything. I started one month ago and have a total of 6 attempts and 5 somewhat successful rhythmics. I need to seriously work on my exits, as sometimes there is not enough altitude for anti-rhythmic exit. Here is a video of my last attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab56isRfip8

vvi1g12's picture

Recently started. Had one

WoodysGamertag's picture

acro_guru - 28,188 views, it seems like a lot but it's mostly me. :)

WoodysGamertag's picture

KrisH - Thank you for the feedback. I'm hoping to get back over the lake next week. I'll update you guys as I progress.

KrisH's picture

Your release is very slow and late. You need to let the brake up as quickly as possible (like punching upwards) to allow the glider to shoot - if some brake is applied it will have a more sluggish reaction and will not gain energy. During the rhythmic your body swings above and below the horizon with increasing amplitude. The brake should not be applied until after passing the highest point (12 O'clock), and should be completely released by the time your body crosses the lowest point (6 O'clock). In this way it is almost exactly the opposite of the wingover, where you go hands up at the highest point and apply brake just at or after passing the lowest point.

The amount of turning you get from each pump is dictated by the depth of brake you pull and the glider's airspeed, so the most turning occurs between 3 and 6 o'clock as the glider rapidly picks up speed. The most efficient rhythmic will hold the brake until as close to 6 o'clock as possible, but not a moment later. If you hold later, the glider will start to pickup undesired roll motion like in a looping and it will make it very difficult to correct the rhythmic, producing this wobbly "endless rhythmic" that you are getting.