heli trick playing on ground

Hi guys,
since few times, i'm trying to perform some kind of hélico on ground, playing with the wing...like on this awesome video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9RCTscwsp4&feature=player_detailpage). It seems that at the beginning of the spin, he breaks the negative side a little, but when do you release the positive side and when do you grab the front elevator of the positive side...to summarize how do you manage this very nice trick !!
Thanks a lot guys....

Latest Comments

Fragoldo75's picture

Hi, sorry if may english is bad but i'm try to explain becouse I have the same question. I have seen many videos where many people make the glider fly backwards and they do well to turn the glider rotates 360 degrees! (helico on ground) .. I have tried many times (always with 2 gliders DVH-1 category EN A, Airwaves Wave and Bolero 4) ... nothing! is impossible for me! Embarassed .. The glider have only a rotation of 180 degrees and PLUFFF falls upside down on the ground ... I can not get it to turn back, much less make a 360!.
I'dnot know whats it's the problem...maby the wind speed or category of the glider? (or maby it is not possible for an EN A).
it would be really useful if someone who knows how to do this perform, can do a video explaining in great detail STEP BY STEP every move .... Thank you so much and I hope someone can help me.

Doug42's picture

great...thanks you very much, man, sure it will help me !!

afischba's picture

I have been playing and working on this trick for a while, here is what I have found so far.

First it helps a ton if the glider is a bit off to the side you want to spin, so if you are going to pull the right brake for your spin, it helps if the glider is slightly off to the right. Second it helps if you spin it while the glider is starting to surge forward, so for instance if you are kiting and the wing drops slightly behind you, as it surges forward is the best time to start the spin.

Once spun the event of inputs goes like this:
1. Slow progressive spin pull (If you pull hard and loose pressure its over, you want the glider pulling back on you always)
2. Apply opposite brake as the glider turns to face the ground, The amount you pull depends on how hard the glider is pulling on you, practice enough and it comes with time
3. Before pressure is lost release both brakes, glider will continue to spin, very fast if done properly.
4. Grab A riser on the SPUN side! So if you pulled the RIGHT brake, go grab the RIGHT A in this step.

This last step will both stop the spin, and fly the glider back into the air! This trick is most easily practiced in an area like the video you linked, which I believe is in Annecy. A sloped launch like that provides lift in the kiting area, you can see the glider wants to hang out in front of him while kiting and it does not collapse, this allows for more time to spin the glider before it hits the ground. Good luck!