Acro brake configuration

Last time it was flyable in the UK (a long time ago) I modified the brake setup on my old Vulcan to the acro style arrangement, with the brake lines detached from the pulleys, toggles tied to the base of the risers and raised slightly further toward the wing, so I can pull more brake without a wrap.

Apart from a slight miscalculation of length, leaving me unable to reach the brake bars (the "acro handles" above the toggles) my main problem was that the slack in the line holding the brake toggles to the base of the risers would catch under my elbow when applying brake, reducing the amount of brake I could pull. This led me to reinvent the wingunder.

There is some excess slack in the brake lines which I could remove to help keep the lines out from under my elbows, but are there any other tips for using this kind of brake arrangement?

Martin
PS: given that I have the maturity of Mendo, the hairstyle of Felix and the dental plan of Mike Kung, why am I not better at acro?

Latest Comments

martincowley's picture

I wish, Mikey. I wish.

Martin

martincowley's picture

Hi Zebur,

It is spare line. I guess bungee might be better.

I'm based in Gloucestershire.

Martin

mikesm08's picture

i will answer the last one for you :
coz ur in the UK!!

Leave-come join me! You, Zebur and Terry!!!?

terry's picture

'PS: given that I have the maturity of Mendo, the hairstyle of Felix and the dental plan of Mike Kung, why am I not better at acro?'

.........................ha ha hahahahaha ha!

ZMercan's picture

Hi Martin,
Is it a line or a bungee attached to the base of the risers?

Ps. Where are you in the UK?