First Helico Attempts

Hi acroguys. I'm starting my first helico attempts. I'm on an F-gravity 22, i weight 78 kilos. My first attempt was the best one, just 2 flat rotations. The second turned into negative, and the third a very ugly oscilating helico stopped with full stall almost in a twist. A friend of mine told me to slowly stop the rotation before fullstalling to prevent the inertia of the turn.

When doing the helico it is hard to notice the position of the glider, because you are always looking up and you see nothing more than your wing, and the blue sky. It is alittle bit desorienting. Any tips regarding to this and to progress in helicos?

Greetings,
Nelson

Latest Comments

cruelangeltesis's picture

Hey Dice, nice tip. I'm improoving my helicos, doing exactly what you say, feeling the glider. But still my exits are not as smooth as i would like. Any tips for nice, smooth, exits?

regards,
nelson

Diceman's picture

Hi, I'm not an expert but from my experience it's best to train yourself to perform negative spins without looking at your glider. For me, it's all about the feelings and you should know where your glider is at any point in time without looking at your glider.

When I perform helico, I do tend to look at the glider especially at the start but not the whole time... I try to look ahead for a couple of seconds and then look back at my glider quickly to check and look ahead again. This should help you to keep your orientation.

It is also important to be bale to look ahead and/or around you while you're in heli to check your altitude.

If you look at the glider and then think, decide what you need to do and then react.... by the time you weight shift and pull your breaks it's often too late. But if you feel the glider you react straight away as it needs to be controlled and you are often reading your glider as to where it will go.

I'd suggest to practice negative spins first and try not to look at your glider to build up your feelings. And once you are comfortable, move onto hlicos.

Hope it helped.
Happy flying!
Diceman

gleitmittel's picture

no tips, but i have the same problem with orientation - also on entry...