F.A.I points for beginners

HI GUYZ!
One Big question:
How can I get FAI points this spring, before the main 2009 World Acro Cup events...?
I want to join the competitions, hopefully qualify for one or two W.A.Cup events....
Can yout tell me the first Acro events in 2009 spring that allow beginners?
Thanx a bunch!,
Colin

Latest Comments

paal's picture

I have collected the info from all the Norwegian cat2 events into one place.
www.norwegian-corax.no
This is the Norwegian acro teams WEB, but you will find other acro reletad info as well.

zeroSIXzero

paal's picture

The system is OK. The problem is that no-one seems to bother to organize smaller cat2 events- WHY is it only Norwegiens that can do this? And we actually do 4-5 comps every season.
It's not difficult.
Acro pilots should take a little more responsibillity themself and se to it happen. Organize a comp themself.

How many beginners do you know in ANY sport, where it is normal to start in the Wolrd Cup as your first competition. None.

So it's not the system that is not working, but lack of commitment by the pilots. If each country did like Norway do, organizing 3-5 smaller comps every year, this discussion would not exist.

zeroSIXzero

PalTakats's picture

This system is shit and for the reason that there are actually no (or just VERY FEW) cat2 events, where everybody could participate after passing a safety selection...There are so many talented, newcomer pilots who has no chance to enter the APWC events (which are almost the only comps and the number of participants in solo are limited to 30 or so?), but they have simply no chance. Even if, let's say they go to Norway and finish in the best 10, it doesn't give enough ranking points.
I think in the moment the only solution for them is to find a partner and start to compete in synchro, since it is much easier to pass the selection.

I don't say that FAI rules and the sporting code is bad, but we don't 100 competitions each year like in cross country, where people can easily register and compete and gain points. That's why it doesn't work well. It is good for those who're in, but bad for everyone else.

Don't give up, train like hell, register, and hope :-)
Ciao
Pál

avonorca's picture

Read this:

http://www.justacro.com/forum/12/711/how-get-acro-ranking-points

(The schedule will be different but the "how" is the same.) This is exactly what I did last summer by going to the Gjovik CC Challenge which started in early June, instead of going to Acrolac. (Great decision as Acrolac was cancelled the week it was supposed to start.)

I think the Norwegian comps are the best ones to do your first comp because it'll prepare you for the WAPC without the pressure and the "attitude". The Norwegians were very welcoming and I definitly plan on going to Ekstremsportveko in June just so I can fly with those guys again.

The only problem with going to Norway is, obviously, the expense!

Also, just because you competed in a Cat2 event and got points, doesn't mean you'll be able to compete in a WAPC event. This is because of 2 reasons:

1) The FAI judges may not know you, and if you can't get one of the judges at the Cat2 comp to vouch for you (maybe due to warnings b/c you weren't safe/didn't follow judges' instructions/were always late for pilot briefings), you still may have to do the safety selection flight which you may not pass; or

2) The event is already full of pilots who have a higher ranking than you.

It's possible they will make some changes for 2009, so we'll see. Anyways, this is how I got a ranking which enabled me to compete in Acrobatixx and Acroaria. I wrote about all the comps along with my entire summer here: http://avonorca.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Nova
http://www.flyozone.com/paragliders/en/team/pilots/xc-competition-pwc/_n...