Light weight harness for acro.

Hello,

I am trying to shave some weight from my paragliding gear, so I can hike more and practice more acro.
My Gin Genie 3 harness is heavy, I would like to switch it to SupAir Hybrid harness which is few kilos lighter.
However the SupAir harness uses lighter material and takes 30mm carabiners and overall is not as robust as my Gin harness, which concerns me that something like buckles or strap might break.
Do you guys think SupAir harness is suitable for light acro?
What I mean by light acro is stuff that I can do like wing-overs,asymmetric spirals,looping and my favorite trick the SAT,the SATback part.
I fly small Nova Mentor so my glider is not as dynamic like acro gliders, but I still feel good amount of G's.
Any suggestions and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sly

Latest Comments

pogozoli's picture

Hi!
I would like to buy a light weight harness, reversible, to have a lighter equipment for mountain climbing/flying. I want to do with it only Freestyle flying, some acro maneuvers, but not hard stuff. I saw two possibilities:
1. Gradient X-lite: developed by Sup'air, 2.6 kg, very comfortable and it seemed to me pretty dynamic.
Pros and contras: Pro: very lightweight, comfortable, dynamic, good material, acceptable price.
Contra: reserve in front container only (this is the only thing which I don't like in it).
2. Swing Connect Reverse: developed by Woody Valley and Deuter. I didn't tried it, so I can't say much about it.
Pros: reserve under seat plate; the backpack seems to be very comfortable due to Deuter technology; aerodynamic shape.
Contra: 4 kg weight, almost as a normal harness; much higher price.

If anybody have advices or tried these harnesses I would appreciate the commentaries.
Thanks, Zoli

Marvin Ogger's picture

exaaaaaaactly!

Cyrille's picture

Hey dudes,
forget light harness for acro.
Only an asymetric sat can destroy normal harness.
Even acro harness are breaking during extreme maneuvres, so I don't wanna imagine with a light one...
On top of that, as Marvin said, use 2 rescues!

Jah is your copilot

Cyrille M...

Marvin Ogger's picture

my advice: USE 2 RESERVES IF YOU FLY ACRO :)
greetz from bavaria.

akira's picture

I would be a bit more careful with lightweight harnesses. For instance some harnesses have carbon seat plates that break easily with spirals ...

Benny's picture

hi slyski

These light harnesses have to resist the same forces as the "heavy ones" otherwise they wouldn't have get the certificate...