Line Breakage!

Hi Guys

Not sure if anyone has experienced problems with the Twister 18 lines breaking? The other morning i broke the centre A and centre B line doing a dynamic sat. Fortunately the glider had enough stability to land safely so no problem other than 2 broken lines.

I was going to make some new lines up however looking at all the other lines i think they are all going the same way despite the glider being lightly used and still crispy!. I understand that on any glider the line is most likely to break just above the riser where the stitching finishes and the line goes from double to single. My understanding is where the line gets kinked the most it creates a weak spot (just where the stitching finishes). Similar i think to when you kink wire rope, it too creates a weak spot.

Anyway, my problem is because the stitching on the Apco lines is not that tidy (there is always a bit of the kevlar core sticking out), they have decided to make these silly little plastic caps to place over the ends of the stitched loops to hide the messy finish. This of course this makes the line far more susceptible to kinking and breaking. ON AN ACRO GLIDER?????

So, my question is, do people agree with me, that these plastic caps create a weakspot on the line and are dangerous and has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I will try and post time pictures.

Cheers

Will

Latest Comments

bbqq021's picture

Hi Pal

I would have not been too surprised had the glider been old however its not, The glider itself is still crispy and none of the lines have gone stiff (i.e stretched). I did buy it second hand however i would only say it has 20 or 30 hours on it.

For sure i am going to buy a new line set, my concern is should i keep hold of it or sell it on.

Anyway, cheers for your help.

Will

PalTakats's picture

Hi!

First of all: how old is the line set of your glider? Keep in mind that lines can brake during dynamic figures, no matter the way of manufacturing, however of course new ones should not. Maybe it was just damaged (not always visible).

I don't think that the plastic thing you are talking about has anything to do with the strenght of the line. It just simply makes the bottom of the stitching clear and prevents the lines to get entangled in any way (let's say in case of a big collapse one line could get stuck at that point and easily rip the line whilst the canopy opens).

If your lines are old or used, consider to buy a new line set...If not, contact the manufacturer :-)
Cheers

ps: uploading files is not an available feature in the moment, but very soon we will set it up!

bbqq021's picture

Errrrrrrr....... how do you post photos?