Light-Weight Reserves, wich brand??

Wondering wich brands produce light-reserves. Use intended for acro harness with 2 reserves.

Latest Comments

yellowbird's picture

My humble experience...

...Is not about throwing the reserve but re-packing it.

I guess there is no one as much as acro-pilots that re-pack their reserves, espesially on competitions where there is a raft-landing, the pilot misses the raft, gets wet has to dry it, then re-pack it.

There is a small detail that I love that is the small "Folding loops" on the top of the canopy to make it easier to pack. Myself I have the Sky Spare and the reserve is also divided into two colors, making it easier to split in two when you pack. If you have an eye for details, you should take this into consideration. There is several other brands than the Sky Spare that has these in my eyes, benefits.

Vertical greetings -Mickey Mouse-

"In ACRO it's not the speed that kills you, but the lack of it..."

PalTakats's picture

Nopa: I think there is not really a preferred type...everybody buys, what he can get for cheap. However, I would go for a bigger size (if it fits in your harness), considering the lower sink rate. Thanks god till now I never had to throw my secondary reserve (round one), but I've seen many landings with normal parachutes - fortunately most of them were over water - and I can say, many bones could brake if they would have landed on hard ground.

I think I wrote about this earlier, but I do it again, for those who have problems fitting their 2 reserve into the acro harness, I would consider to try a Supair Acro 3. It has 2 completely separated and independent reserve containers (one is especially designed for rogallo, but both containers are nice big). Both are easy to deploy in emergency situation. This increases your safety and for me this is the most important. Earlier I had a harness with both reserve packets under the seat. It was really hard to put in the rogallo and the normal parachute and because there was so big tension on the pins, it became really hard to deploy. That's very dangerous...Once I was in a shity situation (many twists + spiral) and wanted to throw the reserve, but I couldn't pull it out. Finally the glider came out by itself...

nopa's picture

Other question at this place - which reserves are often used by acropilots?
Because in addition to my rogallo I have to change once my second (old) reserve .

oyoz's picture

I agree with you Pál. If the weight and smaller size of the reserves comes on the cost of safety, I will not change them. I really don't need lightweight reserves (at least not for acro), but i do need reserves that pack smaller than the SOL reserves. I do not have any experiences with deploying light weight reserves (or any kind of reserves for that sake), so I would also appreciate any experiences.

PalTakats's picture

Hi!

I have some doubts about light-weight reserves. Do they have the same sink rate as normal parachutes? Light weight product could be lighter because it has smaller surface or lighter (higher porosity) material, lighter stichings and construction (not so many reinforcments). I would not thrust my life on a chute that might explode during a high speed opening (in case you fall into the canopy, etc..). However it is just my theory, what is your experience?
Pál

lupus78's picture

I've got an AVA Acro 2 harness, and 2 reserves. A Rogallo style and an RS2 round parachute. The rogallo is pretty heavy and large when it's packed. I always have problem to squizze them into the containers but it is possible!
Lupus

oyoz's picture

Bumping this one. I'm unable to squeeze my two SOL reserves into an AVA Sport acro harness, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of lightweight (or at least "small-packed") reserves suitable for acro.

I haven't got any reserves other than SOL at the moment, does anyone know how the size of the SOL reserves compare to other brands?

:)