Fullstall mistake ?!?

Hi everybody

On 12.07.11 I try to do some testflights on my new bought RR Rolling 22.
A week ago a had the chance to test a demo glider. (same wing/size)

The wing was amazing compared to my old 1-2 mountain glider. also stalling the demo wing was easiere. (4th flight)

now it was time to get familiar with my own wing and so i decide to make a training flight. (5th fligt with my own)

situation:
RR Rolling 22 @ approx. 97kg
Skyline Vertigo 2R
Yeti Rescue on the left
Orange ST M on the right
life jacket
perfect wind and weather conditions

I started and begin to stall like I always did. extreamly slow to feel when the preasure decreases and the wing begins to stall.

But than:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQ2N8d1674

Please give my some feedback, what I've done wrong, what can I do to solve such a situation,...
Every critique is a good one for me to improve my flight skills and avoid another situation like this.

thx
Mario, who was very relaxed in that situation :-)

Latest Comments

HolzingerM's picture

Hi Guy's!

I only want to thank you all for your comments.
Yesturday I had the chance to stall my glider again.
(have to wait 1,5 month to get all lost equipment)

Tried to brake a little bit to solw down my glider and than stall it faster than in my first approach.
After the Gilder was falling behind me I release the break a bit.
The glider begins to fill and shoot only a little bit, so a push the brakes (a little bit) until it stalls, and than release a bit again.

It was great feeling becaues the glider isn`t shooting very much and no pulling on the brakes. :-)

PS: As I saw in my video I release the breaks to a point were I normally fly when thermaling up :-)
Have to improove this untill I find the point were the glider filled again but flying backwards.

HolzingerM's picture

Hi!

After talking to a few friends and reading the comments here and in an other forum, I think the main failure was to hold the breaks as low as possible like I always did before
(also with my testglider -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q9oMgELj1Q ). It is said that freestyle or acro glider don't like to get in a deep stall.
In other words the gliders are more problematic the greater the deflation caused by long and deep break.

So next time when my life jacket is ready and my 2nd harnes is installed again I will try to stall (a bit faster than I alwas did) and when the wing stalls release the breaks a litle bit to let the wing not deflate that much. (never lock my hands under the harnes again)

@lexou777
I think the wing itself is not the problem, it's me. I'm still in the beginning of my flight career :-)
I knew that the wing is more dynamicaly than my old, and the manoeuvres need more training at my weight.

The key is a lot of training and analysis of my flights, and also the good comments here in the forum when something gets wrong. (thanks)

lexou777's picture

it's incredible that a wing goes into huge cravate like this even if you brake too slow.
it's the first time I see such a bad stall..I woulnd't like to fly with this wing...seem to be very instable

JaroXS's picture

Bene is right. You are stalling the glider in the entry too much. You locked your arms under the harness. Don't do that. When the glider starts stalling release the breaks a little bit up. You need to have your wing more open - symmetric stall. At the start don't wait until your ears will clap behind you, there is a possibility of cravat. Acro wings don't like it. One time I had a similar situation on my Nikita 19m.

Jarek

HolzingerM's picture

Thanks panzar, bene321

At the moment everyone told me that I shoudn't stall the glider so slow, so next time I'll do it much faster to get a pendelum forward.

My goal woud be to stall the glider very deep and release the breaks step by step until the glider is pre-filled but do not start to fly forward, but if it's better to realease the breaks for approx 20cm after the wing stalls and than begin the step approach then I will do it.I'm only a little bit wary about releasing to much so that the wing is shooting radically.

after repacking my 2 reserves and getting my life jacket working again :-)

thx
Mario

see my avatar, that was my stall with the demo glider. (forgot to lock my feets under my harness)

Bene321's picture

do not hold the breakes so long. If the wing is falling away keep your arms up as long as the wing is getting air so it is a fast and symetric stall. RR is an acro wing so you cannot stall the glider like a 1-2 DHV.

panzar's picture

it looks as if your brake is not symetrical (one side falls back a bit faster and earlier then the other) ,
it's just a taught but maybe you should enter the fullstall a bit faster ... don't slow the glider down that long ... so you keep a bit forward movement when it stalls ...

panzar's picture

it looks as if your brake is not symetrical (one side falls back a bit faster and earlier then the other) ,
it's just a taught but maybe you should enter the fullstall a bit faster ... don't slow the glider down that long ... so you keep a bit forward movement when it stalls ...