Begining Acro

Hello,
I'm 22 but pretty experienced pilot, I'm looking for a new wing to begin acro but there is too many choices, I don't know what to think, what would be your advices?

Which wings would you choose among those?

Icaro Instinct 2 (look great and not expensive)
Free force 3
F gravity 2 (able to do all tricks)
Airg Sophie²
Octane 2

Latest Comments

accachris's picture

what are you flying at the moment/have you done basic siv manoeuvres?

ARGZ's picture

Hi

At the moment I am flying an Octane FLX but i have flowen the Octane 2 as well.
As far as I can tell it is basicli the same wing. The only thing is that the Octane 2 is a bit faster than the FLX. But i prefere the feeling of the FLX i feel more confortable under it. It is also not a bad wing for some thermaling. You can turn it suprisingly well. The Glide is not the best but you are quite fast so that compensate the glide a bit. all in all for me the perfect wing to start some freestyl as SAT, Heli and Stalls.

Cheers
Alex

Gutekfly1's picture

Hi.
I flow on:
Octan flx - 2 seasons - very good choise for learning all tricks. Middle dynamic. Good for negative tricks.
Freestyle 2 - one season. Very dynamic. Not so good for learning negative tricks.
Free force 2 - few times. not so dynamic. quite good for negatives
Emilie, Buzzard, Nikita are not good for starting acro even bigger size glider.
Regards

accachris's picture

Does anyone know if the fgrav 2 actually came out in size 24

Hugues's picture

Ok I will check this out. Thanks for your help

qiv's picture

Sorry, I have only experience with Emilies. But from what I heard Nikita 3 is also rather forgiving. Buzzard might also be a good choice.

Hugues's picture

Thank you very much for your advices qiv. The 22 Emilie looks awsome but the 2011 version is hard to find. What do you think about the 22 Nikita 3 from Icaro? Concerning the harness, I planned to get the acro 3.

qiv's picture

Sounds like you are up for learning helico :-) In your case I think you are at the top weight for starting with a large acro glider, like the 22 Emilie from 2011 (the newer ones are quite aggressive). But maybe a Thriller 24? With a freestyle glider you will progress fast and save, but at some point you have to do the step to a proper acro glider and that can always go wrong -- even if you flew a freestyle wing for a long time ...

Anyways, the best thing you could do is get a BASE harness and then test some of these.

Hugues's picture

Thanks for the prompt response
I usually fly at St Hilaire du touvet so there are a lot of good acro pilots in the area, but no lake. I have 8 years of practices but I never flew with an EN C. I fly currently with a rush 3 from Ozone but I'd rather keep that wings for xc, I don't wan't to damage it with full load trick. I know how to fullstall, SAT, but I learned by my own. In fact I leave in Lyon (not a paraglinding place at all) so I don't belong to a paraglider team sadely... I weigh 82kg, and I'm really motivated to practice acro that's why I'm seeking a freestyle glider.

Hugues's picture

Thanks for the prompt response
I usually fly at St Hilaire du touvet so there are a lot of good acro pilots in the area, but no lake. I have 8 years of practices but I never flew with an EN C. I fly currently with a rush 3 from Ozone but I'd rather keep that wings for xc, I don't wan't to damage it with full load trick. I know how to fullstall, SAT, but I learned by my own. In fact I leave in Lyon (not a paraglinding place at all) so I don't belong to a paraglider team sadely... I weigh 82kg, and I'm really motivated to practice acro that's why I'm seeking a freestyle glider.

qiv's picture

What is your home site? Is there a lake or at least loads of altitude or is it one of these places where you really want to avoid reserves? Are there experience acro pilots around? What do you mean by pretty experienced (e.g. Sat, fullstalls, deep stall)? What glider(s) and harness do you have already? What is your weight?

Basically there are two roads, either go for one of these freestyle gliders if your current wing is not suitable for the basics or you learn them with your glider and go for a large, easy acro wing. But it all depends on your environment ...