THRILLER X4

Hi,
I received my THRILLER X4 17sqm since almost 2 months now and I want to clarify some things about this new wing.
As told on the U-Turn website: -the THRILLER X4 is a first class competition wing for pilots with acro experience and competition pilots-.
It means that it is not a good glider to learn basics acro maneuvers as Stall, Spins, Wing Overs, Sat and Helicos. I even recommend you to already know how to do Helico connections before to buy and X4 in small sizes (18sqm and under, depending of your air charge).
Why? Because the X4 is an high level acro glider, nothing to compare with the last generations of U-Turn acro wings (2k11, 2k12, X3) and other passive acro gliders from other brands.
While flying with the previous acro generation, I could remark practically no shoot in stall exits and that the gliders were very slow in Helico and in connections (Heli to Sat to Heli). The gliders were very heavy to inflate and the brake pressure was very high.
The X4 is completely different. You have to brake the shoot from stall exits and it is super fast in Helico and in connections (Heli to Sat to Heli). It is lighter to inflate because of fewer rigifoils and the brake pressure is also lighter, which makes your arms less tired after maneuvers.
With a low air charge (arround 4,5 kg/sqm), I think the X4 could even be a very good fast Freestyle glider: good to learn Heli conections and Rythmic Sat to Infinity Tumbling.
With bigger air charges (over 5 kg/sqm), I only recommend the X4 to people who already masters some of the principals Heli connections (Mysti to Heli to Sat to Heli to Heli) and even Infinity Tumbling.
The X4 is principally for people who want a fast glider that is working in all maneuvers.
Personally, I love the fast Helico connections, the glide ratio and the fact that it is also working well in Espheras. What can be better than a wing working well in every maneuvers and that has a very good glide ratio?

See videos here:
http://justacro.com/video/paragliding-acro/espheras-thriller-x4
http://justacro.com/video/paragliding-acro/u-turn-thriller-x4-acro-parag...

The best advice I can give you is to try it to see the X4 dynamics by yourself.
David Thibodeau

Latest Comments

Vsevolod's picture

Oh, I see.
thank you Paal.

paal's picture

Trim down yes. But that does not change it. Because all down is neutral. Trimmers can only change it to even faster (good after 400(0) infinit).

Vsevolod's picture

Hi Paal,
I believe that X4 have trimmers. It would be easy to pull the trims? no?

young-padawan's picture

Yes I've just seen it on facebook
I wish you to heal rapidly
glad, you came back home :o)
I hope to see you soon back in the air
take care
Bye Adam

afischba's picture

Glad we were helpful, hope you find a great glider to have some fun with! Oludeniz was amazing, great training with some really fun new acro pilots, enjoyed getting to know everyone and improving together. Well, up until I broke my back. I made the unfortunate decision to launch from the top by the tower in switchy conditions with little running room, my lines snagged as my glider inflated and I ended up paying with a broken back. I'll make a full recovery but a lesson well learned on my end, glad it wasn't worse. Not sure about next years training timing and where, but of course we will make some sort of announcement when we know.

yamadav's picture

I don't think the Blackout is now available, I did'nt see any announcment of it. I just know Simon Winkler is working on it right now and it seems good.

young-padawan's picture

Thanks a lot David and Adam
Do you know if the blackout is available for sale ?
Adam, how was Ölüdeniz?
will you organize an other Hapi Acro training next year at Ölüdeniz?

yamadav's picture

Yes its suitable for you but as afiishba said, if you can try a blackout and an X4 to compare them before to buy one, do it. If you finally buy an X4 in 22sqm and you think its too fast for you (after helico attemps) you can slow it down with the instructions Pal gave previously (see his massages downward).

For any questions or concerns, just ask, we will help you fix your acro problems for a good progression.

afischba's picture

Hello,
I believe David said it best in the main article, the X4 is unlike any Uturn wing before it. If you are looking to step down a size but keep most of the characteristics of the 2K11 (still regarded as one of the best acro gliders) I would suggest checking out the Redout or Blackout (not sure which). This is apparently as close as possible 2K11 reissue. This would probably be better for perfecting Helico, and building Asymmetric SAT. Good luck!

young-padawan's picture

Hi,
Since I saw the wing load research with pal Takats
I fly with a thriller 2K11 24m² air charge (around 4 kg/sqm) (95kg)
and I really like this wing
it's really safe, dynamic and easy to handle.
But unfortunately, it's getting old.
I start heli and asymmetric SAT
and I would like to know if the thriller X4 22m² is suitable for a pilot like me
Thanks

jorjoluiso's picture

Thanks Paal

paal's picture

The fix is for the X4 that can be too fast when new. NOT X3 or any other thriller. Only X4. And ONLY if it is too fast.

jorjoluiso's picture

In other gliders, I can apply it this? For example thriller X3

paal's picture

Anyway. The big loops are on the C and D. The load there is very low.

paal's picture

I can not see the physics making it take only half the load on the big loop.
There are a part of the loop suggesting it will take more load, and some part suggesting a little less. But I can not see how it should be half.
Normally when something is looped it can take more in the attachment point.

Adam A's picture

The big loop is a choke which will halve the strength of the line. How will this go with the shock loading Acro wing go through?

afischba's picture

I did my first flight today with the loops on B,C, and D. I like it a lot better this way as well. Certainly does not have the connection energy it had before, but for me it is way more fun the fly. Plenty of energy for Rhythmic SAT, still does helico fast and locked in, and it even does heli to SAT cleaner, I would get outside lower tip fold but not with loops in.

Thanks Paal! I wish this adjustment was within the trim range on the trimmers, that's what they are there for right? For those who were expecting something like the X3, this is certainly the way to go.

yamadav's picture

Thanks Pal

paal's picture

Everybody thinking the X4 is too dynamic.
Here is the thing. As new it is a bit too fast. I think U-turn compensatet too much on line changes during a season. Normally an acro glider becomes to slow during the end of the season. U-turn compensatet for this bu making the A-lines shorter and B lines also a bit shorter. I think they compensated to much.

So here is what ALL X4 pilots should do:
D lines and C lines: Big loop on all lines
B lines: Normal loop on all lines or all but not stabilo.
A lines: Do nothing.

After doing this my glider is perfect. I know many pilots who think the X4 is to fast and aggressive. This makes the glider not only less aggressive, but in my mind PERFECT. Try if at least for a few flights.