Question for AVA Sport acro BASE owners

I would like to know what types of BASE canopies pilots have bought to go with their harnesses?
What sizes in sq/ft fit the BASE container?
What experiences have pilots had when deploying?

Latest Comments

JaroXS's picture

Paal is right. They must investigate because this is right, and only by this our equipment, configuration and finally flying will be much safer in the future.

Mike you need to understand that this is not so simple. The investigation team will need to reconstruct whole accident step by step. This is really serious, and serious cases should take some time. They will not publish any video from the accident because maybe family and friends just don't want to. We need to respect that.

I will try to ask right now, can I but? Please just don't attack me.

I have heard this was not first accident with BASE release system in paragliding. Do you know guys about any other related accident with same concept of release system? This is not speculation but just a simple question.

From my point of view at low altitude the system must work like a charm oterwise there will be death penalty. Disconnecting from one side of the glider is just too much. I think that normal round system at low altitude could be really safe when it is well packed and thrown correctly. It would be nice if some of you could comment my situation from 2008 when I was hot blood and young. If I had in that time Base system I would probably use it...

Of course what Im making in this video is really stupid, but I took me some years to understand that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbLaQwOL18

Safe landings

paal's picture

colins lanyard.
Do I understand it correctly that it is only one riser that releases with the rescue handle. The other riser is released when the first riser pull the cable for the next?
DId not find very much info when I google it. Mostly I found lots of info regarding knots and bracelets (My God) ;)

paal's picture

If the Ozone Buzz Z4 pilot crashes because of glider failure, then YES. Ozone must investigate. Even if someone only suspect it they should investigate even only to find out it was not a glider failure.

AVA should not investigate bacause an AVA pilot crashed. They should investigate because the rescue system did not work. Why it did not work nobody seems to know yet. THAT is why it should be looked into. Because nobody actually knows. Not AVA, not you. Would be very strange if they did not care to find out. I would. And I think AVA do to.

akira's picture

BTW I am not trying to blame Ava in any way.
I am myself flying an Ava and still consider buying a cut-away system.

akira's picture

## And Akira I'm not arrogant, you don't even understand what arrogance is, you're just not helping with your comment and I'm saying something directly to you. Also do go writing long silly French private emails to me man. ##

And that is not arrogance ?!?
I wrote it in French since you mention many french places in your profile.
But the english translation is in your mailbox.

mikesm08's picture

If this hasn't been posted yet before, please do check your speed bar release system. If the pin line is longer than the length of your speed bar line, the pin can stay fixed, hindering deployment.

More updates for everyone:
Most of us are now flying with speed bar disconnected but able to connect the line when needing speed bar. This is ok on sub 17m2 wings but for sure a bummer for freestyle pilots.
We could all work on a solution for this, and there are some already that some pilots are using with elastic loops. Most don't like the Supair design where the nylon gets a kink in it but it works. The Flugsau design is something to look at too. Andre from Flugsau has made his solution and it's working well although doesn't push like a conventional speed bar double pulley line.

There have been many reserve failures in skydiving over time testing or non testing. The colins lanyard exists on tandem rigs for this reason.

Nothing in life will be perfect but we are not all test pilots with our harnesses. We are flying a system that works very well and it is up to us as pilots to gain knowledge and to use our system responsibly as individuals and then the development with equipment in our sport will continue without expecting manufactures to be our big brothers as such. So far so good though. One very weird death, RIP Arthur, at a low opening with many strange possibilities out of +150 harness sold and used to date! Let alone how many Supair have sold too out in the market place...

mikesm08's picture

also everyone, look up what a Colins Lanyard is. Some of us are implientling them. Just trying to help everyone enjoy their harness and safety as much as I have been with my progression and my flying since being involved with these base harnesses ;-)

mikesm08's picture

@ Akira

do=don't

mikesm08's picture

The fact is they did vigorous testing already guys, otherwise Angel would not have released his harness.

So an Ozone Buzz Z4 crashes, the guy dies. Ozone must investigate?

And Akira I'm not arrogant, you don't even understand what arrogance is, you're just not helping with your comment and I'm saying something directly to you. Also do go writing long silly French private emails to me man. Let's not worry about forum politics and worry about this death and the outcome firstly ok?

If it is a harness failure from the Polish investigation then AVA will recall harnesses. But right now everyone is speculating everything without us even hearing if it were pure pilot negligence in which most accidents in paragliding are!

akira's picture

## Learn more about paragliding then write something here. ##

Maybe you should first learn to be somewhat less arrogant.
People would then consider answering your messages. Until then ...

paal's picture

Any more info on this? I do not know this.

paal's picture

Nobody is throwing any blame on AVA, but of course they should investigate what could have gone wrong when their equipment did not work as intended. No matter if the pilot did something wrong or not. It is in their interest to find out what happened ASAP. Even if it is just to prove that their harness is perfect.
I am very sorry for this. I did not know the pilot. But for me it is also very important that someone find out what happened really soon. This IS experimental equipment for paragliding, both AVA and Supair version. They are tested a lot yes. But still not even close too the experience from the skydive world (and never will), and they still improve and evolve.

mikesm08's picture

What? You're not helping anyone Akira.
Learn more about paragliding then write something here. Think about it, a paraglider crashes, so the brand of wing must investigate?
One incident on this harness to date and the manufacture must investigate? huh? Until Arthurs death, we've all bee having great success with the equipment! All 150 harness sold to date via AVA and Flugsau that is!
Yo, anyone got any news yet??? What's going on?

BTW, we know that with speed bat detachments, if the pin line is too long, the risers can get stuck.

akira's picture

## They don't need to defend or say anything to anyone. ##

Really ?
Some people say that the accident may be caused by a material malfunction and they should not investigate ??
When such an accident happen in regular aviation, companies don't wait to start an investigation. I would hope for the same responsible behavior in paragliding.

mikesm08's picture

bambam

I can assure you AVA and very pleased with their harness and right now this death has only taken momentum due to people posting information online.
Ava will continue to make their harness. Apart from it not being as stable in flight as the RR base, it is the best harness in paragliding to date! They don't need to defend or say anything to anyone. They're making our sport safer day by day

mikesm08's picture

Jarek

Ive deployed by base 8 times no issue. I'm 32 yrs old and stopped acro from fear before. Now I'm alive, safe and loving my flying thanks to this harness.
Lets all not over react here.
Now I know it was Arthur, I know who he was, he was a cool guy. Although I didn't know he was Polish.

Please try and source us some more information. Please phone the people at the scene.
Arthur flew with gopro on. If he was towing and meaning to pull his BASE, he would have had GoPro on.

PLEASE SOURCE THIS VIDEO.

He died, we are all sad. Let's not shy away from scary video that will help us all understand and be safer for the future!!!
Why is everyone acting so sheepish on the paragliding forum and why is no-one trying to find this out urgently?

mikesm08's picture

Slyski. Good thinking.
I wrote stuff trying to find out on paragliding forum but as usual internet pilot
Ive also heard rumour about the nylon not releasing and that's why some people use a colin lanyard to ensure right side carabiner release.

JaroXS's picture

Hi again,

dont have any other information, because I was not there when the accident happened. According to another acro pilot (friend of Artur) there was a malfunction of Ava cutaway system. This is what the guys were saying after the accident happened. Thats why I decided to inform here about the accident becuase a lot of people right now is probably using Ava Base System, and some others life might be at risk. I dont know what type of carabiner Artur was using, and also dont know if there was a problem because of towing bridles or speed system. I would like to know also what went wrong, hope soon after investigation we will know the real problem. Investigation is covered by the Polish Paragliding Association.

The accident and the video is really stressfull to watch. As some of you said "thank god that that specator guy had a GoPro camera with wide angle".

I met Artur many years ago, before he met guys from Acrocolletive. He was always nice guy. If he died because of system malfunction, this is really sad and unnecessary...

After this accident I decided to move to freestyle / XC flying. I have a son right know and I feel that I do not need to take more risks, I want to see him every day. I was trying to learn acro manouvers more then 10 years. Never been pro but I managed to learn a lot by myself. If I take a look into past, I can fast count that 10 of my friends friends are in the graveyard because of unnecessary risks. I also know that I love adrenalin and it will be hard to change it but I want to do that.

Maybe in the future when I will have nice big lake near my house I will start practicing acro again. Till now I have only hard ground with less then 300m when there are no thermals.

If Artur had more height he would probably pull another reserve...

Best regards and safe landings,

Jarek

slyski's picture

From the video it appears this was a land towing operation so I wonder if towing bridles might have caused cutaway malfunction.

bambam's picture

Replying to myself... Hopefully there is indeed an investigation, and to that end... I can understand if time is needed to fully gather and present the information. If the involved parties are reading this, we look forward to the final presentation.

bambam's picture

First of all, terrible accident and thoughts are with all whom are closely invovled...

But, in our BASE/SKYDIVING communites... these types of incidents are always followed up with a detailed investigation and report to help to improved botht the gear and jumper usages to ensure they conditions surround the accident are not repeated.

It seems like there has been quite a lag between the incident and any hard facts/information. As a pilot who is still working on my high end ACRO and will soon be using the AVA BASE Harness, the need is very high to hear about the details. I would appreciate any information to make sure that I am using/setting up this harness to be as safe as possibe.

I am also surprised that AVA has not stepped up regarding this incident to ensure that its product was being used as advertised...

Thoughts???

mikesm08's picture

Jaro,
was he using the shackle O or U style carabiners we are all using or did he have normal carabiners that can in very unlikely situations get caught in the releasing of the rings as a normal paragliding carabiner as used on the Flugsau and the Supair do not complete an actual 3 ring system but rather a 2 ring to paragliding carabiner.
Then finally, was his speed bar attached and or did he forget about that, or did he have a speed bar disconnection system that got caught? Because that can happen and in the acro community we have a solution with a better version that can be home made by comparison to the standard release systems sold on the market.
Did he have GoPro footage? Most acro pilots use GoPros for training their maneuvers.
These are all basics. I hope they can be answered or at least implemented into the investigation.
Who is performing the investigation? The Polish paragliding Association?

mikesm08's picture

hey Kalman
Acro 3 L mean you need an Ava XL. The Ava XL seat board length is very similar to the Supair L. I don't know the exact measurements but it's certainly not as long as the Supair. What is very long in the XL is the back length, so if you are like under 187cm but over 182cm, then it's a bit long in the back but still good to fly.

mikesm08's picture

Hey Qiv,
If you get these 8mm U shaped shackles, the bar isn't really nice and tight when it's secured through the riser loop. So you can cut some plastic to hold the riser loop in place. I'll get you a photo if you PM me. But it's pretty logical if you have the shackle and actually do it in real life.

qiv's picture

Mike, what do you mean by "with plastic around the risers"?

Kalman's picture

Sad to hear this Story from Poland :(
However i am still interested in this harness. Can anyone compare the Seat-Board length of this harness to the Supar Acro 3?
I am flying the Acro 3 L at the moment but the Seat-Board like 5-10cm too short for my long legs. I am lookin forward for a Acro Base in XL or XXL. But according to their homepage, every size has the same Seat-Board length.
Thanks alot.

mikesm08's picture

It's been advised by ava to use U shape or round shape shackles instead of paragliding carabiners to complete the '3 rings'. that way nothing can get caught in any corners when released. Although Supair seem quite happy using their normal carabiners and with no related accidents to date. A few of us have been using the 8mm with plastic around the risers with success: http://www.ruedelamer.com/manille-forgee-inox-autobloquante-large-wichar...

JaroXS's picture

There was a fatal accident in Poland. Polish acro pilot had around 150m above the ground, probably in riser tiwsts. Due the situation he pulled the Ava Acro Base handle and only one of the risers released. Second one got locked and he hit the ground a died - there was no time to use another reserve. According to eye witness (otehr acro pilot) Ava release system failed. The investigation is curently in progress. Please be aware to do not use your Ava Base release system in urgent air situation until everything is explained. You can get the same situation like our friend Artur.

RIP Artur.

paal's picture

Me and Emil just got the new harness from AVA.
A few days ago we tested the harnesses.
I have a Troll 285 and EMil Tross 260 I think.
Test on video here: www.bulaboys.com

I am exctremly happy with the sitting comfort.
The D-bag for the BASE coulb be better. Also the risers as I found no loop to lock the BASE brakes into "brakes down opening". But I told AVA about this and hopefully they will change this in future production.
The general quality of the harness is extremely good. I'm really happy. Packing the BASE is very easy in my mind. I pack it flat using 4 clamps while packing.
I guess the canopy could be smaller, but in wings landing the round would hurt a LOT more. ;)

Yarich's picture

No Mike, my reserve is just skydive rescue. I wanted to purchase 220 from ava, but it wasn't ready. I was informed that they are pending certification for it...

mikesm08's picture

I see now you're being more clear:
What? you got an ava 220ft canopy? It's ready? And they put it with slider??? Really?

Yarich's picture

Mike...to make everything clear...

Initial packing and setup was done by avasport. It came with slider up(I guess this is what you call slider on, sorry for my english). That means, when I had to use it (emergent deploy) I found that slider was on top of my glider, near the chute. Deployment wasn't fast - slider slowed down opening of rescue.

I did test opening with slider down (that means slider didn't slow down opening). It was fast like it shoulb be. Much faster comparing to what was during initial packing.

ANd yes. Now I am meeting with BASErs to learn as I told before. It was in my plan as well.

mikesm08's picture

dude it is not a test pilot problem nor are you doing any reserach! what do you think will happen if you leave a slider on for a slider down application? DUH! We are using these canopies as emergencies in paragliding, which is low speed fast openings exaclty the same as BASE off a low bridge!! Further more we don't even need on heading openings like BASE jumpers so everyone do themselves a favour and go to you BASE friends and LEARN! It's easy, if I can pack very well, anyone can! And do not speak to skydivers, apart from buying their reserves which are cheaper and lighter and better for us to use than BASE canopies which are heavy and built for tough usage, skydivers don't know shit about what we are using these reserves for!

Yarich's picture

Sorry...In the last sentences I meant I've seen supair harness

Yarich's picture

Hi guys. I got 220ft skydive reserve. landed it downwind on the sand with proper done flare - completely fine landing.
For packing...it came packed with slider up what slowed down my first emergency opening quite a lot. It opened in ~50m. When I used skydiving pro pack with slider done and test system. Parachut opened really fast!!! Now I'm meeting with basers as I want to share their experience, discuss video of openings and methods of packing and establish best packing method. This is disadvantage of avasport harness - you are becaoming test pilot and doing research yourself, when supair provides everything - manuals, videos, tested configuration...however, I've seen avasport harness...it was significantly heavier. Plus I really don't like idea of having both round rescure and release rescue hands being on one side, one color...

mikesm08's picture

actually the supair is lighter if you ordered ava acrobase in codura500, unless you've got yours in custom ripstop. Also the troll is so lightweight and cheaply built that you'd probably rather have a skydiving reserve, depending on the reserve of course, only problem is not having tabs for packing as a skydiving pack is obviously different to a slider down base pack...

slyski's picture

I just got my Ava base harness, very nice design, less weight than SupAir Acro 3 without reserves but high quality.

I have been doing a lot of research and asking questions on base forum, facebook, etc..
Most important-pick the right size canopy for your weight. Skydiving reserves are fine but they are not base canopies. SupAir uses a base canopy in their system for a reason...

Bidi's picture

you can also order a pod from flugsau, which is much better in quality. I have an Asylum Design Seven 260 BASE canopy that fits perfectly. but I agree, if you have the money, go for a lightweight BASE canopy.

mikesm08's picture

buy a skydiving reserve. look for spectra lined canopies as we don't need dactron or the robust build of a base canopy. Now that Diana has left Ava and Vesela is back in answering emails, you might be able to give in your packing volume and they make your bag to fit. but you never know, this is the surprise of ava isn't it... try buy upward from 220FT but not bigger than 260FT obviously depending on your weight, canopy experience and flying location, take into consideration that downwind landings on a parachute could hurt you, take into consideration your over weight and penetration for flying in places like Organya. The Troll canopy as used in the Supair is 255FT, if you are light you will go backwards into wind on it. I have a 230FT Squirrel Ibex lightweight fabric base jumping canopy with spectra lines and despite what people might tell you, spectra and lightweight are perfectly fine for our slider down deployments...P.S. I am 7-0kg naked and I would not like to land downwind on my 230FT in an emergency, nil wind is great for good flare landings and into wind is perfect, even strong wind. Contact skydiving online shops and ask for reserves, they're cheap and the skydivers are keen to sell and help. If they say anything about slider down applications and spectra etc, send them this info written here. Mike :)